turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Sale of Decedent's Residence

I am preparing form 1041 for 2019 for my father's estate. The estate sold his house in November. I understand that direct selling expenses can be deducted, but can I deduct the costs of getting the house ready to sell? Specifically, un-reimbursed expenses for a roofing repair, a water damage claim, and landscaping expenses.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

@bobclark15 wrote:

Thanks for that. The basis would be established as of the date of the creation of the estate. I assume that the sales price (6 months later) and the basis would be pretty close to the same. 

Yes, as of the date of death of the decedent and it would be kind of tough to argue that there was much appreciation (or depreciation) in value within six months.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

You can add the cost of improvements to the basis, but you cannot deduct costs of repairs (aka fix-up expenses) unless the property was business property at the time (e.g., available for rent).

Thanks for that. The basis would be established as of the date of the creation of the estate. I assume that the sales price (6 months later) and the basis would be pretty close to the same. 

@bobclark15 wrote:

Yes, as of the date of death of the decedent and it would be kind of tough to argue that there was much appreciation (or depreciation) in value within six months.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies