turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Sale of Business Property

Under Sale of Business Property I need to modify one of my entries, but when I go to update it takes me to a new entry. I cannot get to the original entries I made. The original numbers show up on form 4797.  I tried deleting form 4797 so I could start over, but it will not delete either. How do I find my original entries or delete the original entries so I can start over again???

Thanks.

Scot

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

23 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

Try adding another business property sale.  After you enter the sale, you will be on the Sales of Other Business Property Summary page.  See screenshot below.  Here you can edit the sales you need to modify and delete the one that you created to get there.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for the reply.  I tried that and it takes me to "Copy 1" and "Copy 2".  Copy 2 is my test add and has the test numbers listed as entered.  Copy 1 is still completely blank.  If I put any numbers back in to Copy 1 it treats it as an additional sale.  There is a Copy somewhere that is showing up in the return, but it is not in the step by step instructions.

I also tried deleting both Copy 1 and Copy 2.  It deletes them out of the step by step instructions pages, but there is still form 4797 with an incorrect taxable amount.

In the step by step, next to "Sale of Business Property" it lists a number $209,740 which is the number I am trying to get into to modify.  If I click modify it walks me through a new sales of business or rental property and adds it as an additional sale.  No sign of the original sale information entered.

Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Scot

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

It's a bit of trouble, but you could purchase the download version of TurboTax and transfer your tax file to your computer. Then, you could access the form 4797 in "Forms Mode" and modify or delete it as needed.

I have Turbo Tax on my computer.  I can access the forms mode as described.  I can hit the delete form button.  It looks like it is deleting, but then the form repopulates in the return.  I cannot get it deleted.

Very frustrating....

Thanks.

Scot

DeanM15
Expert Alumni

If the form you are trying to delete has other forms feeding into it, the form will immediately repopulate as soon as you delete it. 

You can try to run the data sources for each figure. Right-click on the figure, scroll down to "Data Source" and a pop-up box will tell you where the information came from. Also helpful, green type is imported info, blue type is taxpayer entered info and black type came from somewhere else in the return. You can generally change the blue type right in the form. The black type you have to go back to the source. 

That got me to the form I needed.  Thank you very much.

Scot

dmtgrn

Thanks, but I don't want to download anything.  I want Intuit to get their crap together so I can edit, Sale of Business Property.    

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

Our online edition of the program does not allow the direct edit of any forms.  That feature is not available online. 

You will need to modify your entries through the interview mode for the online product. 

If you need to make manual updates to the form, this can only be done in the downloaded version of the program. 

What item are you trying to update?  Perhaps we can help you to find the appropriate place in the interview to make modifications, if possible. (Not all updates are possible in the online edition.) 

@dmtgrn

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello - I would like to edit the details associated with the "Sale of Business Property", but clicking "Edit" leads only to the "Any Other Property Sales?" screen.  How do I enter the interview mode for the property for which I previously entered info?  I can see that the name is "Copy 1" when I look at the Forms list under "Tools>Delete a Form" - there are six forms (Schedule E ...) listed for this property.  Thanks in advance for your help.

All the best,

Jeff

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

When you are signed into your return in TurboTax Online, click on Federal on the left menu and then click on Wages & Income at the top menu.   Scroll down the list until you see Sale of Business Property and click Edit there to make changes.      You can also do a search for sale of business property to be taken to the interview.  

You will need to answer YES as you did originally to get to the screens in order to edit them.   You may need to go through each option individually to determine what you previously entered.    @Anonymous

sunzi888

Same here!

I am surprised that TurboTax still did not fix this problem.  I cannot edit or delete the form 4797.

Once I finishing entered the date, I even cannot go back to the form 4797 itself, let alone to make any modifications.

I uninstalled the CD version of TurboTax premier version that I bought from Sam's Club, and downloaded the software again from Intuit's web site as suggested by previous post, and reinstalled it onto my computer.

The result is the same.  I cannot modify the data by right-click the cell, because when I tried save it back it show me an error message that the data cannot be modified/saved or else it cannot be e-filed with IRS.

It is ridiculous!

I guess I could start from scratch to create a new return by manually enter everything again...what a waste of my time!

I also called TurboTax tech support, and already talked to two people whom have no clue how to fix these problems....What sham to put clueless people on the tech support line to waste users time!!!

This terrible experience made think if I should stick with TurboTax for 2020...after been a loyal customer for about 20 years...

I had the exact same problem.  After clicking on "Sales of business or rental property that you haven't already reported." I had to click on "no" on the next screen.  I kept clicking on yes and it made copy after copy and I was losing my mind.  Hope this helps.

SH373
Returning Member

Same problem. Please fix this bug in the software!

Cander115

Have you figured this out yet? I am having the same issue and it is horrible.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies