Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Return Rejected due to wrong AGI or PIN

My wife & I filed a joint return in 2018.  She died in 2019 and I've prepared our 2019 return but the IRS keeps rejecting it with a "IND-032-04" error.  This indicates that her info in our return does not match the IRS' info for either her AGI or PIN.

I've checked the AGI via the transcript at the IRS website and it is exactly right.

However, TurboTax does not ask for her PIN and I suspect that it is not being transmitted.

I listed us a Joint again and entered the info that she had died & the date of her death

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
ReginaM
Expert Alumni

I am sorry about the loss of your wife. Since the social security administration blocks the Social Security Numbers of deceased persons to prevent fraud, it is almost always impossible to electronically file a tax return that includes a deceased person.  Print the return and file by mail.

Don't forget to also print and mail your state return. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for the timely answer.

It would be nice if TurboTax alerted us to this issue instead of always offering to help me fix my return.

William

After pondering this more, I have further questions.

The error I receive does not say that my wife's SSN is wrong or missing but that the AGI or Pin is wrong.

As I said the AGI matches exactly what the IRS shows in their transcript.

That makes me ask what can I do to ensure that her Pin is being properly transmitted?

Additionally, why does TurboTax address only the AGI when it tries to help with the error?

William

JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

@Dave-estes

As @ReginaM stated above the IRS will also almost always reject tax returns that has a deceased spouse as one of the filers. It may give you a message regarding the AGI/PIN however it is usually more related to the issue with the social security data base issue. It would be best for you to mail the return since it cannot be e-filed.

The fix for the AGI/PIN we give is more addressed with the AGI and not the PIN since PIN's are not commonly used by tax filer's.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies