turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Return rejected because of AGI or 5 digit pin. AGI is correct

Verified my AGI from 2019, still getting  filing electtonic errors

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Did you e-file your 2019 return?   If you filed by mail, you may need to try using 0 for your AGI.   Did your filing status change from 2019 or were there any amendments or changes made?   @rtcarter58

Some other options for verifying your AGI.    

Only online tax return transcripts, which you can view, download, and print, are currently available through the IRS Get Transcript page.

Transcripts include most line items from your return, like your AGI, and look like this. They're available for tax years 2017 through 2020 and are free.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I received the same error until I entered 0 for mine and my wife's 2019 AGI.  The first rejection was due to my AGI.  I changed it to 0 and resubmitted.  It was rejected a second time for my wife's AGI so I changed it to to 0 and resubmitted.  This time our return was accepted.  I prepared a few other 2020 returns for family members and had the same issue.  Changing the AGI to 0 resolved them also.

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

If you have your 2019 tax return, your AGI is on line 8b of the Form 1040.   

If you don't have 2019 available you can try to enter a zero. 

You can also request a transcript from the IRS Get an IRS Transcript.

Finally, the last resort is to mail your tax return.  TurboTax will print an instruction sheet explaining where to mail the returns.

To mail your Individual Income Tax Return please review the following:

Completing your Return

• Do not staple or attach your check, W-2s or any other documents to your return.
  • Submit proper documentation (schedules, statements and supporting documentation, including W-2s, other states’ tax returns, or necessary federal returns and schedules).
  • Use the correct form - forms differ by tax type and tax year.  Look at the bottom of the form for the required pages to submit.
  • Double-check your return.
  • Review personal information (social security number (SSN), address, date of birth) on your return for each person listed 
  • Sign your return.
  • Taxpayers must sign and date their returns
  • Both spouses must sign the joint return, even if there was only one income reported
  • Mail your return, payment, and all necessary documentation to the appropriate address listed on the return.

How do I print and mail my return in TurboTax Onli... (intuit.com)

asoliz001

How do I find the pin for a return filed that used turbo tax last year but not on this system, and forgot pin numbers?

MayaD
Expert Alumni

You can reuse your Self-Select PIN from last year or create a new one to use. It doesn’t matter which option you choose.

For identification purposes, you need to enter either last year’s Self-Select PIN or adjusted gross income (AGI).

How do I find last year's AGI?

From what it seems, the IRS front-end verification database was not loaded with all (prior year 2019) data, so, many submissions will fail with AGI incorrect, simply enter ZERO and re-try.

I was skeptic too, but that's very logical, if no data is there, computer compares to zero 🙂

Good luck.

lsdw62

Appears IRS has mangled my 2019 return, went online to get a transcript (one of the suggestions here) but found there are only pieces available on their website, and of course the AGI is the one they have no record of. Knowing that you would think the '0' trick would have worked, but no avail.. I've tried every method listed here and has been rejected 5x now. Guess will have to mail it unless anyone else has any suggestions

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

E-filing your 2020 tax return: To e-file you will need to enter your AGI from your tax year 2019 tax return.  If your 2019 return has not yet been processed, you may enter $ 0 (zero) as your prior year Adjusted Gross Income. If you used the Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info Here tool last year to register for an Economic Impact Payment, enter “$1” as your prior year AGI. 

lkvoss5

I have also tried all recommended fixes with no luck so which turbo tax software were you using?

I am trying to find "Other tax situation section" in Home & Business with no luck.

Also, how did the IRS give you an identity PIN number?

@lkvoss5 wrote:

I have also tried all recommended fixes with no luck so which turbo tax software were you using?

I am trying to find "Other tax situation section" in Home & Business with no luck.

Also, how did the IRS give you an identity PIN number?

If you received an IRS rejection for the 2019 AGI, there is no need to look for an IP PIN which is 6 digits.

Enter a 0 (zero) for the 2019 AGI and e-file the 2020 tax return again.

MrPink

Entering '0' for your AGI is correct.

If you filed late (past the Oct deadline), the record on hand with the IRS is '0'. Even if you did file (past the deadline) and have your transcript with your AGI, it is not recognized in the system. Enter '0'. If you filed jointly, enter '0' for your spouse too. 

A side suggestion, follow the link provided for the transcript and register to view online. Once registered, like any another acct, you will always have access via your log in credentials. This is a great place to get your transcript history and you can download your past transcripts, don't need to request a mailed copy. 

DE-7

Had the same problem, tired to try until I enter 0, Bingo... was accepted, I am wonder who is going to take responsability for this bug, it is a scary thing. Thanks all for your helpful observations,

wkonowitz
Returning Member

Hi folks. If you are having trouble getting your return accepted because your correct AGIs do not match what the IRS has, it may be because the IRS has not processed your 2020 return yet. That is what happened to me. So, go to and set up an account at the IRS.GOV web site using ID.ME. Once you set that up, get an IP PIN located in the File tab at the IRS.GOV website. Go back to your turbotax return and put in 0 for both you and your wife's AGI. Then put in your IP PIN in the section Other Tax Situations. That worked for me. 

bpross

Thank you, thank you, thank you!  Must have been rejected 25 times until I entered 0 as the AIG.   Spent many hours trying to figure this out. IRS help line useless.  Really did not want to file paper return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies