turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kro5875
Returning Member

Return rejected because of AGI or 5 digit pin. AGI is correct

Received the following...the IRS has found the following problems with your return:  The primary taxpayer's AGI or Self-select PIN from last year does not match IRS records.

The AGI is correct.  I did not file with Turbo Tax last year and I didn't have a pin number as far as I can remember.  What would the PIN from last year be?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

52 Replies

My electronic filing (for my client) continues to be rejected for incorrect 2019 AGI.  But it is correct (rolled forward from TurboTax last year  - even verified with the IRS online website transcript.  Is there something that could be wrong with the TurboTax electronic submission?  I didn't file electronically last year for this client, so I created a new PIN this year. However everything I've read suggests that the PIN is no longer used for identity verification so it doesn't seem like that should be the issue.

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

There are a few possible reasons why you’re still getting an e-file reject.

If you:

• Filed late last year after mid-November or your return was processed after that time—try entering 0.
  • Amended your return last year—make sure you’re using the AGI from your original return, not the amended one. (If you only have a 1040X form, it’s on line 1, column A).
  • Rounded your AGI to the nearest dollar—be sure to round up when it’s 50 cents or more and down when it’s 49 cents or less.
  • Filed with your spouse last year—you and your spouse have the same 2019 AGI. (Don’t split the AGI amount or enter 0 for one of you).

If you’re still having trouble, we suggest that you check with the IRS to make sure that the copy of your return is the same as what they have in their records. To do this, you can order a tax return transcript

Please click the following links to learn more:

What if I entered the correct AGI and I’m still getting an e-file reject?

How do I find last year’s AGI?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I had the same problem.  It's due to something wrong with the IRS database used for validation.  I originally entered last year's AGI for both myself and my wife (we filed jointly) on this years return and it was rejected.  I then change our AGI's to zero for both myself and my wife and resubmitted.  Our return was accepted this time.

Tried all recommended fixes. Nothing worked. Went to IRS site for identity PIN (6 digit code). Entered it into the Other tax situations section and the return was finally accepted.

focus38

Hello, you've stated you change the AGI to zero...Did you use that number for the 5 digit pin code....I am having an issue with the system stating my 2019 AGI or pin created does not match last year so i was rejected. This is my first year filing...Please assist

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

If you did not file a 2019 return, you would need to enter $0 for your 2019 AGI. 

You can read more information here on the AGI. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

There seems to be a problem with the IRS identity verification process. I worked around that by going to the IRS site and getting a six digit identity PIN and entering that in the Federal tax section under Other Tax Situations. So once you get that entered, enter 0 if 2020 is your first tax return filed, and choose any 5 digit code for the electronic filing PIN.

I only changed the AGI zero.  Did not do anything with the PIN.  My wife and I filed a joint return.  On my first attempt, our return was rejected because of my AGI, so I changed it to zero and resubmitted.  It was then rejected because of my spouse's AGI.  I changed hers to zero and resubmitted and this time our return was accepted.  Hope this helps.

MY21
Level 1

I did as Mitch suggested and put in a zero for my AGI.  FINALLY it was accepted.  I did this AFTER I checked that all my numbers were correct and resubmitted, after I created an account on irs.gov to get my tax transcript only to re-submitt because EVERYTHING I HAD ENTER WAS ALREADY CORRECT and matched the transcript.  Only the zero AGI fixed it!  So after my 5th submission with the 0 AGI I got an acceptance email!

Worked for me too!

1960park

last year AGI NUMBER DON'T MATCH YOUR RECORD.

MY21
Level 1

You're incorrect 1960park.  AGI did match transcript.  It's because the IRS is so behind from last year's pandemic nightmare.  I talked to my neighbor who's a tax consultant at turbotax.  She verified that the zero will work if the IRS processed yr return very late (my case) or still hasn't processed last years return.

gloriah5200
Expert Alumni

We have a lot of customers that are  having to use the $0 AGI for last year's AGI.  The only thing we can come up with is that there they have not updated their database, the return or the database needs to use an amended agi if that return was amended, or something unknown.

Entering this amount into your return to qualify you for electronic filing is the end result.  It does not affect any other thing in your return, except for the e-filing qualifier.  

We urge you to give the $0 a try.

Misty221
Returning Member

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies