Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dmm219

rental repair deduction question

I recently moved back into my primary residence after renting it out for 3 years while residing overseas.  There is significant damage to the house fascia and soffit due to renters not clearing gutters as required in the lease.  I want to deduct the repair of this work from my taxes.  Note I will not be redoing all of the fascia/soffit, just repairing the rotted sections and repainting.  I did not have enough time and money to pay for this work to be done in 2018 after moving back into the house.  Can I still claim this deduction if I pay for the work in 2019?  It would not make much sense to me to be required to make all repairs in the calendar year in which the damage takes place...because there is no way for a landlord to get all this work completed if the damage were to occur in say, December.  If I get this work done this year (2019) can I still deduct it from 2019 taxes, even though I did not rent out the house in 2019?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

rental repair deduction question

I think you can only deduct the expense in the year you paid for the repair.  I dont see another way. Hopefully someone else will chime in. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies