turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Rejected with correct agi

What is going on????

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

I will suggest you to print out your tax forms and paper file to the IRS.  To see some solutions and explanations, click here:

Correct AGI got rejected

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I am filing a joint return and the AGI is the same as last year but it keeps being rejected when I give my AGI  and of course, the previous year's return is going to say that my wife's AGI is the same and we keep being rejected.  My God, it's a joint return.  Help, how do we resolve?

@johfwjr wrote:

I am filing a joint return and the AGI is the same as last year but it keeps being rejected when I give my AGI  and of course, the previous year's return is going to say that my wife's AGI is the same and we keep being rejected.  My God, it's a joint return.  Help, how do we resolve?

It is possible that the IRS does not have the 2019 AGI for your SS numbers.

Enter a 0 (zero) for the 2019 AGI and e-file the 2020 tax return again.

I had the issue with 2020.  I quad-triple checked my AGI number - Paper, TT File from 2019 AND checked the AGI munber via the IRS transcript online form.  All the same number all correct I had submitted it 6 times.  I finally found thread similar to this.  Also NOTE - I filed on time last year prior to the modified deadline.  So, then I tried a $0 number in the AGI field and it "Accepted" the e-file. !!!  Hope that helps other people!

GSG-BFG

I had same problem last year.   We have been filling join return tax returns for 54 years.  Always paper this Sthis is second time we have had returned rejected by efiling, for not matching AGI first in 2019 and now again in 2020,  IRS message is that can't identify G Suzanne Gagliolo, we received our 2019 check Friday after long time had to mail copy to IRS.  BRUCE F SR & G SUZANNE GAGLIOLO is name on check as is the same as the names on our tax paperwork,   H E L P!!!!!!

Sounds like it took a long time for the IRS to process 2019.  So try entering 0 for the AGI (for both of you) to efile.

jlacava
Returning Member

Both 2019 and 2020 return have already been filed and printed (via certified US mail).  Both were filed on time.

What else can I do to expedite my 2020 refund??

Joe LaCava  Support ID # [removed].....[phone number removed]

@jlacava wrote:

Both 2019 and 2020 return have already been filed and printed (via certified US mail).  Both were filed on time.

What else can I do to expedite my 2020 refund??

Joe LaCava  Support ID # [removed].....[phone number removed]

Unfortunately there is nothing you can do to expediate the IRS processing your federal tax refund.

The IRS is seriously behind in processing 2020 tax returns.  This is due to many factors, such as the pandemic, completing processing of millions of 2019 tax returns, stimulus payments, unemployment compensation exclusion tax refunds., changes in the tax code by Congress in the middle of the 2020 tax season and the like.

Millions of taxpayers have not yet received there federal tax refunds.

Go to this IRS website for operational status - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

As of July 31, 2021, we had 13.8 million unprocessed individual returns. Unprocessed individual returns include tax year 2020 returns such as those requiring correction to the Recovery Rebate Credit amount or validation of 2019 income used to figure the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC). This work does not require us to correspond with taxpayers but does require special handling by an IRS employee so, in these instances, it is taking the IRS more than 21 days to issue any related refund and in some cases this work could take 90 to 120 days. If, as a result, a correction is made to any RRC, EITC or ACTC claimed on the return, the IRS will send taxpayers an explanation. Taxpayers are encouraged to continue to check Where’s My Refund? for their personalized refund status and can review Tax Season Refund Frequently Asked Questions.

What you should do: In most instances, no further action is needed but you may check Where’s my refund or you can view your account. If you filed electronically and received an acknowledgement, you do not need to take any further action other than promptly responding to any requests for information. If you filed on paper, check Where’s my refund? If it tells you we have received your return or are processing or reviewing it, we are processing your return, but it may be under review. We’re working hard to get through the backlog. Please don’t file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your return.

Tashaw

I don't know it 

@Tashaw There are multiple posts in this thread from many users---and all you say is "I don't know it"

Best guess---do you mean you do not know your 2019 AGI?

Where do I find my AGI?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/agi/help/how-do-i-find-last-year-s-agi/01/25947

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/prior-year-return/help/how-do-i-access-my-prior-year-return/00/270...

Your 2019 tax return shows your 2019 Adjusted Gross Income  (AGI)  If you filed a joint return then the AGI is the same for each of you.

Form 1040        line 8b

If you are using the same TT account that you used last year, you should also be able to find this number in your Tax Home for 2019

If entering the amount from your 2019 tax return does not work, then try entering “0” instead.  If that does not work and you still cannot e-file, then print, sign, and mail your tax return.

You can get a free transcript of your past return from the IRS:  

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

Note: If you filed late or amended your return, your correct 2019 AGI may not be in the system. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1944348-how-do-i-print-and-mail-my-return-in-turbotax-online

Note:  If you mail your federal return, you will also need to mail your state return.  You will not be able to e-file your state return.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3415597-what-if-i-entered-the-correct-agi-and-i-m-still-getting-an...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1944348-how-do-i-print-and-mail-my-return-in-turbotax-online

it is a good idea to use a mailing service that will track it like UPS or certified mail.  Then you will know the IRS received it.

If you used the wrong AGI, your e-file  be rejected.  When you get the rejection notice, correct it and re-file.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/agi/help/where-do-i-correct-my-agi-in-turbotax-online/00/26311

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Some have suggested that after multiple rejections by the federal IRS, you enter the number 0 for the AGI. While perhaps odd to have to do so, I can report that for the 2021 tax filing, it worked for me. I was rejected three times despite the AGI for spouse being correct. I was ready to file by mail until I tried entering 0 and then letting TurboTax submit the return one more time, and then success. There is likely a flaw in the TT software that needs to be fixed, and the error apparently goes back years to judge from comments on this site. So, TT, please fix it or you will start losing customers.

Thank you to those who recommended putting a 0 in for AGI rather than the real number. 

My 2021 return got accepted just now by the IRS.

Go figure!!!!  Apparently everything old (old problems) are new again!

I spoke to Turbo Tax about having the same issue.  Got these 2 suggestions:

1. Since the program rounds the number, add.00 for no cents after it and resubmit.  This didn't work for me.

2. Change AGI to 0.00.  This did work for me.  Return was accepted.

0 is working for most people.  Because the IRS took a long time to process returns and the AGI didn't get entered in time especially if you mailed the return.   Nothing to do with Turbo Tax.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies