Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Real Estate Taxes Double Counted

I have two home offices, one for myself as a salaried employee and one for my wife who is a small business owner. As directed by the step-by-step instructions, I have entered the real estate taxes for my property under both home offices. In the small business entry for my wife, I have checked the box which says "real estate taxes entered here were already entered on another home office". But for some reason this box doesn't seem to be having any effect and the real estate taxes are still being double counted.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

The home office you have entered as an employee is not deductible.  Unreimbursed Employee Expenses are not longer deductible.  So I wonder if it is really being doubled or just all used on her Business Use of Home since it cannot be used for your home office.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Are unreimbursed employee expenses still deductible on state taxes? If so, wouldn't I want to include this home office on my return? Is it best to override this value in forms view?

I just took a look at my Schedule A in forms view and the real estate tax amount is correct and not doubled, so it seems that this is just a display error on the tax summary page on the step-by-step process

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies