turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Question about self employment mileage deduction and Roth IRA

First off I was hoping to use Turbo Tax deluxe to deduct my private tutoring mileage. However, Turbotax is prompting me to upgrade to Turbotax self-employed in order for me to do this and its $90!

My private tutoring income is well under $10k. Is there any way to deduct mileage using the cheaper online deluxe. It's my understanding that the downloadable deluxe version has this option, but I would really like to submit my taxes online.

Secondly, earlier this month I set up a Roth IRA CD account with Ally Bank for the tax year 2019. Do I need to report this and if so, could I do this with any version of Turbotax.

I gotta admit it's pretty infuriating that Turbotax does not seem to be very transparent. I may opt to try another online service.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I just checked my order from last year and I used deluxe - I also deducted some mileage from my private tutoring. So has this changed?

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

I do not recall the requirements from the 2018 versions of TurboTax.  For 2019 though, you can report self-employment income using TurboTax Online Deluxe, but you cannot include any expenses using the Deluxe version.  You must upgrade to TurboTax Online Self-Employed or use one of the CD/Downloaded versions.  

Regarding the Roth IRA, yes, you do need to include that information as part of your tax return.  TurboTax Online Deluxe or higher can handle this information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Carl
Level 15

With the online version you can use deluxe or premier to report SE income on SCH C-EZ. However, you can not claim "ANY" business expenses. Not one penny.

If you want to claim business expenses including vehicle use, then you must use the online version of TurboTax Self-Employed.

Now if you use the CD/Desktop version of the program that you physically install on your computer, then you can use the CD/Desktop version of Deluxe or higher to file the full SCH C and claim all of your business expenses.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies