turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

glow141
Returning Member

Problem with final K-1 and Carryover Passive loss.

I had a final K-1 with entries in Line 1 Ordinary Income (large positive) and Line 2 Net Rental income (medium loss).  Furthermore this was a final K-1 (disposed of not by sale). TT Premier required Line 1 (and I assume other lines) be entered in one K-1 and the Line 2 Loss in a separate K-1.  The problem is TT did not treat the negative Line 2 as a final K-1 and allocated some of the carryover passive loss to it.  This is how I filed it.

I'm in the process of a 1040X. If I combined Line 1 and Line 2 and report the net positive on Line 1 only, it calculates the passive carryovers correctly only to other K-1s but also calculates a more beneficial QBI. Is this correct to combine K-1 Line 1 and Line 2 and report it on Line 1 for a final K-1 as a workaround?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

It is okay if the income on both lines is passive.

Spoiler

glow141
Returning Member

As it is a final K-1, aren't both ordinary income (loss) rather than passive income?

doesn't matter because passive losses are freed up to be used against all income.......they are not presented on Sch E that way and that could be a problem where ordinary income is in the nonpassive column and passive losses are in the passive column and you're combining the two.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies