turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

doug4654
Returning Member

Pension income

Why does TurboTax Deluxe ask if my Federal pension income reported on form CSA-1099-R is an RMD withdrawal?  Seems to me this question is irrelevant and should not even be asked as RMDs do not apply to Federal pension income.  The screen with this question appears directly after the screen asking the amount on CSA-1099-R Box 5 that applies to health Insurance.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Pension income

All retirement accounts, even pensions, must meet the required minimum distribution requirements.  Since you are receiving monthly payments through the pension, you are meeting the RMD requirements.  The answer to that question is simply to make sure you do not owe any penalty for not taking the required minimum distribution.   Since pension plans fall under Sect. 401 and require an RMD after you are 70.5, you need to answer YES to that question, and ALL to the next question, so the TurboTax does not generate a penalty.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Pension income

All retirement accounts, even pensions, must meet the required minimum distribution requirements.  Since you are receiving monthly payments through the pension, you are meeting the RMD requirements.  The answer to that question is simply to make sure you do not owe any penalty for not taking the required minimum distribution.   Since pension plans fall under Sect. 401 and require an RMD after you are 70.5, you need to answer YES to that question, and ALL to the next question, so the TurboTax does not generate a penalty.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Bradrm

Pension income

I can't say that I understand that pension income has a RMD requirement in that a pension is paid monthly for life. The amount increases as a result of a COLA adjustment over time but it will never increase because one grows older.  I spent an hour this afternoon searching for where to enter pension income while doing my tax return. In past years Turbo Tax specifically asked about pension income. I finally gave up looking for an answer here in the support community & called support to discuss this with a live person. She essentially said to enter it as if it was the same as an IRA distribution. This was one of those times when it makes no sense to question the answer received because it isn't going to get you anywhere! I also received an email answer to my inquiry but this email is specifically why I had to call because it doesn't answer the simple question as to where one would enter this info. A pension is quite different from an IRA withdrawal but Turbo Tax seems to have lumped in into one item. Maybe next year Turbo Tax will see the light & clarify this......I hope?

Pension income

@Bradrm wrote:

I can't say that I understand that pension income has a RMD requirement in that a pension is paid monthly for life. The amount increases as a result of a COLA adjustment over time but it will never increase because one grows older.  I spent an hour this afternoon searching for where to enter pension income while doing my tax return. In past years Turbo Tax specifically asked about pension income. I finally gave up looking for an answer here in the support community & called support to discuss this with a live person. She essentially said to enter it as if it was the same as an IRA distribution. This was one of those times when it makes no sense to question the answer received because it isn't going to get you anywhere! I also received an email answer to my inquiry but this email is specifically why I had to call because it doesn't answer the simple question as to where one would enter this info. A pension is quite different from an IRA withdrawal but Turbo Tax seems to have lumped in into one item. Maybe next year Turbo Tax will see the light & clarify this......I hope?

Virtually all pension plans, defined contribution plans, and annuities in existence today fall under section 401 of the tax code.

Required minimum distributions for defined benefit plans and annuity contracts all require RMD's after age 70 1/2.  If you receive periodic (monthly) payments from any pension plan you can be assured that the custodian of the plan is meeting the requirements so you can safely answer "yes" to the question.

The rules that the plan administrator must use to calculate the RMD as required by §401(a)(9) are defined in § 1.401(a)(9)-6) of the Internal Revenue Code (IRC).

The answer to the question does not go on your tax return, it is simply to make sure you do not owe any penalty for not taking the RMD or use it for an ineligible rollover.

The question is just to be sure that the requirement was met.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302117

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
afftonmo

Pension income

agreed, i have a friend who thinks her husbands pension has a penalty attached because he is 58.  she is unaware that if its a systematic payment , the penalty should be avoided.  they are not helping with using IRA and pension in the same vernacular.  

patem

Pension income

OK, but this is confusing.  Glad someone else asked the question before me.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies