turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Taxeroo32

Oregon - Metro Supportive Housing Services and Multnomah County Preschool for All Taxes

The Portland Oregon Metro counties instituted a new housing services tax in 2021.  Multnomah county instituted a preschool for all tax in 2021.  Does Turbo Tax calculate these taxes and forms?  Or do I have to calculate and file separately outside of Turbo Tax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

57 Replies

Oregon - Metro Supportive Housing Services and Multnomah County Preschool for All Taxes

Neither.  You enter them as state and local taxes paid, subject to the $10,000 SALT cap. :(  TurboTax combines that data plus data for other deductions to recommend either itemizing deductions or taking the standard deduction.

Taxeroo32

Thanks.  I understand the SALT but am trying to determine if the actual local tax I may owe for these two taxes is calculated and prepared by TT?

No, you have to enter those amounts from the statements/invoices those gov't agencies should have sent you.

Responses thus far not helpful nor actionable.  there are no forms sent.  turbotax apparently doesn't support this local tax either and employers may not have withheld it, so this is messy. See  Supportive housing services tax | Metro (oregonmetro.gov)

and Preschool For All Personal Income Tax | Multnomah County (multco.us)

these have a link to a City of Portland website that provides for an online submission. Apparently no way to directly link to the Cities website...  

And what I don't understand now, is do I need to amend my Oregon and Federal return to account for this tax paid or will that occur in next years taxes as this tax was paid in 2022?

Does anyone know? This is such a mess. I didn't account for this payment as I assumed TurboTax was properly updated for OR taxes.

RaifH
Expert Alumni

These local taxes are not supported by TurboTax. Like the Portland Arts Tax, you have to pay them separately. Also like the Portland Arts Tax, you may take a deduction for them in the year that you pay them. They can be filed online on a combined form here.

If your employer did withhold for either of these taxes, that is probably indicated on your W-2, possibly in Box 14 or in the local taxes section in Boxes 18-20. If they do appear in Box 14, you would want to use Other deductible state or local tax as the category. 

For what it’s worth, TurboTax does print the forms for the Portland Arts Tax.  

I expected something similar from TurboTax  for these local taxes.  Perhaps too new to have been incorporated in this years TurboTax- maybe they can do so next year.

For the $130 I just paid Turbotax, I'd expect them to at the very least tell us there are other taxes that 3million or so people need to file.  Definitely headed for TaxAct next year after this and TT's inability to deal with stock options....

Support by TurboTax this year has been sorely lacking. I'm truly disgusted by lack of knowledge. I filled out a form as instructed. Hit enter and one of the entries was rejected. The message was the program can't handle it. The best part, instructions were 'put in the correct form', no form number, or line given. Assumption must have been I knew more than their 'tax experts.' So disappointed.   

Sorry I can't help. I just needed to rant.

erickpdx

TaxACT notified users of this tax for 2021 TY. TurboTax did not.

Missed this when filing and was whacked with a massive penalty payment (5% + 10% Interest) this year for filing it ~3 weeks late after it came up during dinner with a TaxACT user. Very disappointed in TurboTax inability to even notify of new metro taxes that are being collected. 

While TT does support some local taxes, it cannot do so for the other thousands of other municipalities and counties the country.

erickpdx

TurboTax can comment on what they can and can't do.  Their direct competition covered this. Considering a switch next year.

This rollout was poor on many fronts.  I’d also complain to the City / count to get a refund on the penalties.  I don’t recall receiving any public mailings.  The City mails post cards to anyone near a construction project or traffic change, as well as the Arts Tax.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies