turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

One of my w2’s were already in the system when I signed in to do my taxes and asked if I just wanted to continue without having to enter anything. Is that okay? Or is that from last year?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
BillM223
Employee Tax Expert

One of my w2’s were already in the system when I signed in to do my taxes and asked if I just wanted to continue without having to enter anything. Is that okay? Or is that from last year?

If I understand your situation, you are doing the TurboTax 2019 federal interview, and it noted that you already had W-2(s). If you used TurboTax last year under your same account, then TurboTax would bring over certain information, such as a placeholder for a W-2 from the company that gave you a W-2 last year.

After all, most people work for the same company from year to year, and the company has the same name and EIN.

However, the numbers on the W-2 will not be carried over, since they are very likely to be different. For this reason, you must review what has been entered for the W-2 - you are likely to need to enter any numbers not on the screen in the interview or auto-import the W-2.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

So if I just clicked yes to automatically enter it all in that they had..does that mean I’m going to have to amend my return when it gets back because I didn’t enter any numbers for that w2?

BillM223
Employee Tax Expert

Look at your 1040. Does it show zero income on line 1, or does it show the dollar amount on your 2019 W-2?

If you see zero (or blank) on line 1 of the 1040 but you had Wages in Box 1 on your 2019 W-2, then - if you have already e-filed - you will have to amend your return.

Note that while TurboTax will accept your e-file, the IRS will not open e-filing until January 27th (except for test batches that are run from time to time). However, once the returns are in the e-file queue, you can't get them back.

If you have not submitted your return yet for e-file through TurboTax, then you can just re-enter the return and fix it; then e-file. This is also true if your e-file submission is rejected (as is possible if you submitted a W-2 with zero Wages in box 1).

If you have already submitted your return for e-filing, then you really should wait until your return is accepted by the IRS (sometime between now and January 28th). After that point, you can read the instructions for filing an amended return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565 (the instructions for 2019 which are not yet available will be added to this webpage when the amendment process is ready).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies