turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

On My W2 "Box 14 - Description" is blank but Turbotax had some text pre-filling that box which I cleared. Can you tell me what the text is so I can proceed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

On My W2 "Box 14 - Description" is blank but Turbotax had some text pre-filling that box which I cleared. Can you tell me what the text is so I can proceed?

Unfortunately, since this a public forum, we cannot see your tax return.

However, any amounts of values listed in Box 14 on your W-2 Form would be the amounts on your actual W-2 Form.  If the lines are blank, you will not need to enter anything into the TurboTax program.

Please see the following excerpt to determine the amounts that are typically reported in Box 14.  If any of them apply to your particular situation, you may want to confirm the amounts reported with your employer to ensure everything was reported correctly to the IRS.

Box 14

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jn123

I had the same issue trying to file tonight.  It kept telling me to review the info on my W2 and trying to force me to enter a value for box 14 even though 1. I never entered anything to begin with, and 2. when it tried to make me enter something I selected Other for the description and left the values blank as they appear on my W2.  I tried to continue progressing through filing, paid, then it wouldn't let me finish e-filing unless I "fixed" the W2.

My guess is there's a problem with whatever system is being used to automatically import the W2 from the employer.  It didn't show anything at all for box 14 the first time I reviewed the W2, but then it showed up and started making me enter something when I got to the Review step.  I tried selecting Other and it won't accept that without a value entered.  After two calls to support I find out I had to delete the entry for box 14 to finish.

If you haven't already been able to finish filing, go back to your W2 entry (under Federal), find the section for box 14, click the trash can icon next to any row(s), then click Continue.  Don't know why their system can't accept an entry of Other and blank, but whatever.

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Put your cursor in the field and clear everything out.  If even 1 period gets imported in the field and there is no associated code, you will get an error.   The code box and amount box need to be completely empty.   

Employers can put just about anything in box 14; it's a catch-all for items that don't have their own dedicated box on the W-2.  In TurboTax, enter the description from your W-2's box 14 on the first field in the row. Enter the dollar amount and select the correct tax category that goes with that description.

If none of the categories apply, scroll to the bottom of the list and choose Unclassified or Other–not on above list. Don’t worry. We'll figure out if it impacts your return or not. If we need more information, we'll ask you.

If box 14 is blank, just skip over it. Don't enter a 0 for any blank boxes.   But make sure nothing was imported into those boxes that should be blank.   

jn123

@DawnC , there was absolutely nothing in either of the value-entry fields.  The only thing that was populated was the type/name, which was set to Other, but still causing the problem.  Using the trash can icon to clear out the type selection then re-saving it is what finally worked for me, after about 45 completely irritating minutes trying to figure out what the heck it thought I needed to enter for a blank field.

Scottdoc1
Returning Member

I had a similar issue today.  I have no data in Box 14 on my W-2 so left all the boxes blank in the software.  When it did the final review of my input data, it takes the amount I entered for my Social Security Tax Withheld (Box 4) and fills it in Box 14 and calls it Railroad Tax, and tells me that I need to request an updated W-2 from my employer.  Please advise.

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

This experience is normally a result of an imported W2 and can be corrected by deleting the form W2 and re-entering the form information manually into TurboTax.  You will find the W2 topic in the "Income" tab in the federal interview.  Be sure to enter the information to match your copy of the form.    

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies