turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Ok, I'm paying more so that I can directly import my 1099's directly like I've always done but Tubotax doesn't show a way to import. What's the problem?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Ok, I'm paying more so that I can directly import my 1099's directly like I've always done but Tubotax doesn't show a way to import. What's the problem?

Choose to add it as a new 1099.  If Fidelity info transferred in from last year's 2018 return, do not use the review or edit button shown by the Fidelity information.    When you choose to add it instead as a new 1099, it should take you to the "Let's Get Your Tax Info" screen that was posted above, then you can click on the Fidelity logo.

However, even when you get to the right section and try to import, you are going to encounter the following problem (see image below).     The TurboTax program indicates it is not yet ready at this date to import from Fidelity, whether Fidelity has your 1099 forms otherwise ready for download or not.   It would be rare for a brokerage firm to have a 1099-B available yet; many brokerages are not ready until February.  If it's a 1099-DIV, that's more likely to be available, but again is not ready to be imported.

When I go through those steps and try to import from Fidelity, after I click the Fidelity logo on the screen shown above, I get this screen.  Click to enlarge.

fidelity_import.png

View solution in original post

15 Replies

First of all it doesn't cost more or cost anything to import.  The online version you need to use depends on the kind of income you have to report.

Most brokers, funds, banks, etc. won't have the import files ready until February, maybe even late February.

Importing 1099 forms

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/entering-importing/help/how-do-i-import-my-1099/00/26254

Let me rephrase.  There is NO LINK to import 1099's. I have done this for years and there is always a place to import info. and I have the same institutions as always.  That is the reason I use Turbotax.  Sat on the phone with a rep for 30-45 minutes and  there was no resolution.  They just said I'd have to do it manually.  NOT happy

It does not ask if I have received that form.

The financial institutions do not have the date formatted for import yet.  That will happen in late January/early February.  You may be able to see the information on their sites and if you are eager to enter it now, you can key it in yourself.  Otherwise wait to import it.

There is no fee to import data from your bank or broker, etc.  You can do that with any version of the software.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

What form do you want to import?  A 1099B?  How far do you get?  Do you get to this screen?  Then what happens?

1099B import.jpg

no I do not get that screen.  That is the problem.  I know Fidelity is ready because they notified me.

@lesliedon wrote:

no I do not get that screen.  That is the problem.  I know Fidelity is ready because they notified me.

Did you follow this procedure -

To enter an investment sale from a brokerage account (1099-B), follow the steps below.

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Wages and Income (Personal Income using Home and Business)
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Under Investment Income
  • On Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other, click the start or update button

Or enter investment sales in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to investment sales

did all of that, no way to import

Clear cache and cookies on your web browser.  Close the browser.  Relaunch the browser.  Access the TurboTax online website again - https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/

If the problem persists then change your web browser.

Choose to add it as a new 1099.  If Fidelity info transferred in from last year's 2018 return, do not use the review or edit button shown by the Fidelity information.    When you choose to add it instead as a new 1099, it should take you to the "Let's Get Your Tax Info" screen that was posted above, then you can click on the Fidelity logo.

However, even when you get to the right section and try to import, you are going to encounter the following problem (see image below).     The TurboTax program indicates it is not yet ready at this date to import from Fidelity, whether Fidelity has your 1099 forms otherwise ready for download or not.   It would be rare for a brokerage firm to have a 1099-B available yet; many brokerages are not ready until February.  If it's a 1099-DIV, that's more likely to be available, but again is not ready to be imported.

When I go through those steps and try to import from Fidelity, after I click the Fidelity logo on the screen shown above, I get this screen.  Click to enlarge.

fidelity_import.png

And just because Fidelity has issued the forms and you can access them online doesn't mean they are ready for importing ... the 1099-B is usually not ready until mid to late February.   Also the IRS is not going to start processing any returns until 1/27 so there is time to wait for the system to come online.  

did all that before I called.  Even tried my laptop instead of my desktop, just in case.  No luck.

I think perhaps this is the problem.  Thank you.

Anonymous
Not applicable

the post answers your question, import not available until 1/31/2020

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies