turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

KatieH
Community Manager

Official COVID-19 (Coronavirus) stimulus payment thread

For the latest information about COVID-19 stimulus payment checks, refer to this article: https://blog.turbotax.intuit.com/tax-news/what-the-coronavirus-covid-19-stimulus-bill-means-for-your...

This Help Article is also available for reference:

How are my taxes affected by Covid-19?

You can also post your questions here to receive expert answers and to learn from others during these unprecedented times.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

616 Replies

The IRS recommends e-filing for the stimulus check, but TurboTax doesn't allow you to e-file if you have no taxable income. Will TurboTax allow people without taxable income to e-file so that they don't have to file by mail and potentially spread/catch the Coronavirus?

If you have no taxable income then you have no reason to file ...  if your income is from SS or VA benefits you do NOT need to file any return to get the check ... just be patient. 

@Expletive 

You are NOT reading that page correctly ... the suggestion to EFILE is for those who are required to file a return ... it is preferred over mailing  in a return.    If you are NOT required to file and you have income from SS or VA benefits then a check will be mailed to you automatically ... you need not file if you have no reason to file.  

Pay attention to the stimulus check info  here :  https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus

and NOT the general info on this page for those who are required to file  :   https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

1.png

goalie3079
Returning Member

Married Filing Jointly (what we have normally done) we may be over the threshold for a stimulus payment.  Can we continue to prepare our TurboTax filing that way, then copy that saved return into two separate files and model Married Filing Separately to see if that would allow at least one of us to receive a stimulus payment? Income wise, one of us is impacted significantly more by the current situation than the other.

@goalie3079 wrote:

Married Filing Jointly (what we have normally done) we may be over the threshold for a stimulus payment.  Can we continue to prepare our TurboTax filing that way, then copy that saved return into two separate files and model Married Filing Separately to see if that would allow at least one of us to receive a stimulus payment? Income wise, one of us is impacted significantly more by the current situation than the other.

You are prepared to lose $12,200 in a Standard Deduction on your federal tax return for a $1,200 stimulus check?

goalie3079
Returning Member

Ouch....why I asked !  I knew someone would have an answer!  Thanks for your prompt response.

@goalie3079 wrote:

Ouch....why I asked !  I knew someone would have an answer!  Thanks for your prompt response.

And just for your FYI -

Married couples with no children earning $150,000 or less will receive a total of $2,400. And taxpayers filing as head of household will get the full payment if they earned $112,500 or less.

Above those income figures, the payment decreases until it stops altogether for single people earning $99,000 or married people who have no children and earn $198,000. According to the Senate Finance Committee, a family with two children will no longer be eligible for any payments if its income surpassed $218,000.

Well, I really do hope that is the case because I was filed as a dependent in 2018 and only started receiving my full SS in 2019. While I am hopeful that I will receive the stimulus without the need to file, I can't help but feel skeptical after reading articles like these. Personally, I would prefer to file just to avoid certain misunderstandings that may arise from my 2018 return. I guess I will just have to wait and see.

I wrongfully labeled myself as a dependent although I paid for all of my own things and nobody claimed me on their returns. Will I be able to receive a stimulus check?

OK  ... FIRST .... will people on SS benefits ONLY ... at this time you do NOT need to file anything to get the stimulus check  HOWEVER if you read the article did you not notice the word "MAY" not must but since the IRS has not issued any guidance on this situation I would watch the IRS for the OFFICIAL word and not the "talking heads" that just need to say something to sell papers.  https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus

Next ... if you filed an incorrect return you will need to amend it however it may not process fast enough to get the stimulus check.  The unofficial  word on the street is this is an advance of a 2020 credit based on your 2020 situation that will be reconciled on the 2020 return .... so  if you don't get the correct amount in advance you will on the return ... again ... NOT a confirmed rule yet ... keep watching the IRS site for the final word ....    https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus

Question about direct deposit for coronavirus payments. I owed money to the irs and submitted my checking info on my 2018 return with direct debit and paid off my balance. Would the IRS direct deposit the stimulus payment to that checking account I submitted on the return? Or will they mail it? Thanks!

The details on how his will work have not been issued yet but in your case expect a check mailed to the address on the most recently filed return. 

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus

Mlvicks

I get 350$ from retirement and 900 from ss but child support take 1/2 of each one so will I get a check

The details on how this will work have not been issued yet...

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies