turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Not sure why my taxes say rejected

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

What does the email say--it has a rejection message or rejection code.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Got rejected? Don't take it personally. We're here to help you figure it out and be done for good.

Step 1: Check your email

The solution to some e-file rejections is as close as your Inbox. Look for an ACTION NEEDED! email from turbotax@intuit.com and follow the instructions.

Didn't get an email? Open your return to get the rejection reason and proceed to step 2.

Step 2: Search for a solution

If you didn't get an email, search on the reject message or code for instructions on how to fix.

Here are links to solutions for the top 10 IRS rejections:

1. IND-031-04: The AGI or Self-select PIN from last year for the first taxpayer doesn't match IRS records
  2. IND-032-04: The spouse's AGI or Self-select PIN from last year doesn't match IRS records
  3. FW2-502: The name or EIN for an employer on your W-2 doesn't match IRS records
  4. R0000-504-02: The name or Social Security number for a dependent on your return doesn't match IRS records
  5. R0000-500-01: The name or Social Security number for the first taxpayer doesn't match IRS records
  6. R0000-507-01: A dependent on your return has already been claimed (or claimed themselves) on another return
  7. IND-181-01: The Identity Protection PIN (IP PIN) for the first taxpayer on your return is missing
  8. R0000-503-02: The secondary taxpayer's Social Security number and last name don't match IRS records. The IRS receives this information from the Social Security Administration (SSA)
  9. IND-516: If the Primary Taxpayer is claimed as an exemption in the return, then the Primary SSN must not be the same as a Dependent SSN on another return
  10. R0000-902-01: Taxpayer TIN in the Return Header must not be the same as a TIN of a previously accepted electronic return for the return type and tax period indicated in the tax return

Step 3: Open and fix your return

If you haven't already opened your rejected return, now's the time to do so.

Follow any "fix-it" directions you see in your program (not all rejections will have this). Otherwise, navigate to the program area to address the cause of the rejection, then proceed to the final step.

Time-saving Tip: If what you originally entered is correct, you won't be able to e-file. There's probably a data mismatch at the government, a dependent that's already been claimed, or some other situation beyond your control that prevents your return from being e-filed.

In these cases, go ahead and file a paper return, rather than wasting your time trying to "fix" something you can't fix.

Step 4: Re-file your return

After completing the previous 3 steps, you're ready to re-file.

In your TurboTax program, click File in the upper-right area (mobile devices: tap in the upper-left corner to open the side menu, then tap File).

Follow the onscreen instructions to either e-file your return or file by mail.

Note: If you get the same rejection a second time (or third, or fourth, or fifth...) and you see no mistakes on your return, select the file by mail option to paper-file your return. Sometimes, returns keep getting rejected even though there's nothing wrong with them (data mismatches, dependents already claimed, and so forth).

In these cases, we recommend paper-filing by mail rather than wasting additional time trying to "fix" something that is beyond your control.

Related Information:

I don't understand 

ChondelLO
Intuit Alumni

For help understanding and correcting the rejection please click the link below. Please leave a comment if you need further assistance.

How do I fix a rejected return? - TurboTax

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies