turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

T-Holmes

Can I Upload Tax Returns done using Turbo Tax Software to Turbo Tax Online Account?

I did my 2015 Taxes using the Turbo Tax Software and am going to mail them to the IRS. Is there a way to upload my 2015 to TurboTax so 2015 will show up in my Time Line with all my other Turbo Tax returns?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I Upload Tax Returns done using Turbo Tax Software to Turbo Tax Online Account?

No, you cannot place a 2015 desktop return in an online Tax Timeline.

How do you plan to prepare your 2016 return?    You will be able to transfer the *.tax2015 data file into the 2016 return regardless of whether you choose TurboTax Online or the desktop (CD/download) version.   We can tell you how, if necessary, once you decide on which version you want to use for your 2016 return.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

No, you cannot place a 2015 desktop return in an online Tax Timeline.

How do you plan to prepare your 2016 return?    You will be able to transfer the *.tax2015 data file into the 2016 return regardless of whether you choose TurboTax Online or the desktop (CD/download) version.   We can tell you how, if necessary, once you decide on which version you want to use for your 2016 return.

T-Holmes

I plan on using 2016 web version. How do i import 2015 into 2016 web version?

Buenoboy

So.... considering this is 2019, this lack of functionality is pretty silly.....  Is there a timeline as to when Intuit might be embracing the 21st century and allowing for software usage to sync with online usage?  All the same company, right?   Unified IT department, etc.?  Yes, I'm being a little snarky but really, it would offer loyal users who choose to use the various platforms a much easier time than dealing with an incompatibility issue.

Thanks for considering.

@Buenoboy wrote:

So.... considering this is 2019, this lack of functionality is pretty silly.....  Is there a timeline as to when Intuit might be embracing the 21st century and allowing for software usage to sync with online usage?  All the same company, right?   Unified IT department, etc.?  Yes, I'm being a little snarky but really, it would offer loyal users who choose to use the various platforms a much easier time than dealing with an incompatibility issue.

Thanks for considering.

TurboTax online is just that - for online prepared tax returns.  It is not for general data storage of tax returns done on your computer.    Online accounts are only good for one tax return/user which the desktop software can prepare any number of tax returns for many different persons.    Mixing the two could present many logistical issues and possible legal issues.  I doubt that it will ever happen.    There are many other ways to store past tax files.   (And TurboTax follows IRS rules and destroys tax returns after 7 years as does the IRS.)

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies