Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

twmick

Purchased new computer and downloaded turbo 2018. Restored files from Norton cloud are on the computer but will not open in turbo tax error 567812

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

14 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Purchased new computer and downloaded turbo 2018. Restored files from Norton cloud are on the computer but will not open in turbo tax error 567812

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4514673-what-is-error-567812

not a listed error use this link to contact tt support

however, if the error occurs when you try to open prior year files with tt 2018, the answer is simple.  to open 2016 and 2017 you need the tax programs for those years.  earlier years are no longer supported

twmick

No this did not help me. I am trying to open 2018 returns in 2018 turbo tac

I changed computers since using turbo tax.

For the Desktop program.......

Before you can open your tax file you first install the program (from the cd or download it again) and then update it and download any state programs you used. Then you can open the tax return.

If you need to open the .tax file you will need to have the program installed for that year and first updated to the latest version and install the state program if you did a state return before you can open your .tax file.

First install the program and update it with all the updates and download and install any state programs you used. Then copy the .tax2018 file from the old computer. They are usually in My Documents in the Turbo Tax folder or search your hard drive for all files ending in .tax. Copy it to your new computer and note where you put it. Then you can start the program and open your return. You might have to browse to where you put the .tax2018 file.

See this article on how to move your tax return to another computer…….

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-data-file/help/how-do-i-move-my-tax-data-file-to-another-compu...

Your tax files end in .tax or .tax2015, .tax2016, .tax2017 or .tax2018 etc. They should be in your Documents in a Turbo Tax folder. You should also have the pdf files of each year. Or search your computer for all files ending in .tax. Also if you haven't done it, I would open each year in the program and save it as a PDF file, go to File-Save to PDF so you don't need the program installed to view or print your return in the future like to get a mortgage or loan, etc.

What I would do is just copy the whole Turbo Tax folder that is under your Documents. That should be where the .tax files and pdf files are stored. Copy that folder to a flash drive or best yet is to burn it to a CD or DVD and then you will have a backup of them. Then on the new computer copy the folder (or files) from the flash drive to your Documents folder.

The programs need to be installed from the CD or download them again. You don't need to install them unless you need to amend or open a return.

Carl
Level 15

Since you've restored from an off site backup, if you restored files in the program files directory "AFTER" installing Turbotax 2018, that can easily screw things up big time. Just uninstall and re-install the TurboTax 2018 program. Then if your tax file (in the documents\turbotax directory with a .tax2018 filename extension) includes a state file, after you re-install the TurboTax program you must download and install the state module before you can open your .tax2018 file. If necessary, start a new bogus return so you can then download/install the state you need.

Today is Monday, April 12, 2021.

I am reporting to Turbotax a problem. For some reason, we cannot reopen my computerized 2018 Oregon Turbotax tax return saved on my computer.  I originally purchased Turbotax Deluxe for 2018,  and I downloaded the 2018 Oregon state program online from Turbotax so I now have no software to reload.  I was successful in completing and filing my 2018 tax returns in that tax season.

Now I need to access my 2018 information but Turbotax does not seem to acknowledge providing my 2018 Oregon Turbotax state return.  When I currently reopen the 2018 Turbotax program it awkwardly quits loading and rejects access to my Oregon Turbotax information.  This is wrong.  I have sent Turbotax support an email with no reply.  has acknowledged that they have possession of my customer name and my email address but have no reply.  Turbotax has confirmed my name and identification as customer by verifying my email address online.  Turbotax is now however, preventing me legitimate access my 2018 Oregon state Turbotax income tax return records that I legitimately purchased and saved on my computer.

Please send me a link to redownload Turbotax state of Oregon for tax year 2018.  I need access to my 2018 Oregon state Turbotax return information.

Cass0317
Intuit Alumni

If you used the online version, make sure you're using the same TurboTax account (with the same username) as in prior years. Otherwise, the below instructions won't work. I would also try clearing your cache and cookies and then rebooting.

If you're signing in for the first time this year, we may ask you some questions before you get to the Tax Home screen where you can access your prior year returns. 

If you need to find an account, our account recovery tool can help you find your User ID or password.

Please see the TurboTax FAQ's below for additional assistance:

If you need additional assistance, please reach out to TurboTax Customer Care. 

The best and most efficient way for you to connect with the right person to get the help you need is to select the version you are using below. Use the web form and type your question or a keyword. You will get an appropriate phone number for your issue. (You will not get a phone number if you use the link outside of operating hours.) We're open daily from 5:00 AM to 9:00 PM PT.

@jamesontax

@Cass0317   Sounds like he used the Desktop program not Online version.  He needs to find his account to download the program again.

Access your downloads here
https://shop.turbotax.intuit.com/commerce/account/secure/login.jsp?pagecontext=download

If you can't find your download, use this TurboTax account recovery website to get a list of user ID's for an email address. Run the tool against any email addresses you may have used https://myturbotax.intuit.com/account-recovery/

After you get the program reinstalled the first thing to do before you open your tax return is to update the program and install any state programs you had. Then open your file. So you first might need to start a fake return to be able to download the state program.

drobles_2

I had this same issue after I had to restore my PC from a backup and I resolved it by modifying the files  permissions settings and taking ownership of said file. 

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

drobles_2

Yes you need to be logged in as an Administrator but that alone will not resolve the problem I'm describing.  When you copy or move a file or folder on an NTFS volume, how Windows Explorer handles the permissions on the object varies, depending on whether the object is copied or moved within the same NTFS volume or to a different volume.  This is what happened to me, when I restored my backup I did not realize that some of my files, including the ones saved from a previous turbo tax sessions, permissions had been changed to read only.  When I tried to opening the file turbo tax kept giving me an error code 567812. Once I took ownership of the file, and gave myself full access I had no problem opening up said file in TurboTax. 

Here's an article from Microsoft explaining how to give permissions to files and folders in Windows 10.

Give permissions to files and folders in Windows 10 - Microsoft Community

jlewis102

I too purchased a new computer and downloaded TurboTax 2018, that I bought from Amazon digital.  I filed the 2018 return to fed and state the end of 2020, due to covid travel.  I have until late 2023 to file an amended return, which I need to do. Three hours today talking to support, and I'm unable to get the free 2018 state software loaded into the program that was part of the purchase I thought I purchased.  Very poor customer service.  I feel cheated after buying every year, for over ten years from them, and recommending them to many.  I understand their right to limit the download, what I do not understand is their lack of understanding the consumer's needs and value of preventing a three-hour support call.  I will try calling again tomorrow.  The choice they gave me, after three hours, download the forms from the IRS and do my own refiguring or hire a accountant/CPA.

@jlewis102 

It sound like you have a complex issue.  For one thing--you are past the limit for filing an amended 2018 return.  You had two years from the original filing date when you paid your tax due to file an amended return--and you are now past that.  The original deadline for a 2018 return was in 2019, so you had until 2022 to amend.  It is now 2023.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/taxation/deadline-filing-amended-return/...

The other problem is that the software for 2018 is no longer available; TT does not provide the 2018 software now, nor can they update or support it.   

The suggestion to get the forms from the IRS and/or state sites may actually be your best bet.  Or you could seek local paid help.  You do not say why you are amending; but it is too late to get an additional refund for a 2018 tax return.   

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
jlewis102

I filed late in 2020, paying the taxes due, so I believe I have until three years from then.  I quote from the IRS publication on filing an amended return 1040-X: "for a credit or refund, you must file Form 1040-X within 3 years after the date you timely filed your original return or within 2 years after the date you paid the tax, whichever is later." I believe the key here is "whichever is later".  I have an appointment in two months with a CPA, so I'll find out then.  I filed late due to Covid, and having to stay out of the country below the equator, I used TurboTax to report only my six figure income, with not all my deductions, and paid the substantial tax at that time, the fall of 2020.  So,.... I may still be able to file a 1040-X.  However, I do appreciate your partially scripted reply, as this will let me properly question a CPA.  I am still more than disappointed in TurboTax for not providing me the state software I was due and paid for, so that I could use the product I paid for to compute the fed and state amended returns.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies