Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I file 2016 and 2017 taxes together

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LindaA
Expert Alumni

No. The tax laws change from year to year, so each tax year requires its own version of the software. You may use TurboTax Online to file your 2017 tax return, but you'll need to use the TurboTax CD/Download software to file a 2016 tax return, which must be printed, signed, and mailed to the IRS. 

Click this link to order the 2016 software: TurboTax Prior Year Products  

View solution in original post

4 Replies
LindaA
Expert Alumni

No. The tax laws change from year to year, so each tax year requires its own version of the software. You may use TurboTax Online to file your 2017 tax return, but you'll need to use the TurboTax CD/Download software to file a 2016 tax return, which must be printed, signed, and mailed to the IRS. 

Click this link to order the 2016 software: TurboTax Prior Year Products  

I have the  softwares 2016 and 2017 , and looks like I can send them , but I am no 100% sure , the systems said go and filing so that confused me , can or cant , because turbotax allow me charginme 19,99 per year.

@walfaro2000 wrote:

I have the  softwares 2016 and 2017 , and looks like I can send them , but I am no 100% sure , the systems said go and filing so that confused me , can or cant , because turbotax allow me charginme 19,99 per year.

Tax returns prior to 2019 can only be printed and mailed, they cannot be e-filed.

Each tax year is a separate TurboTax program.  

@walfaro2000 

You cannot e-file 2016 or 2017.  E-filing is closed permanently for those years.  Those returns must be printed, signed and mailed.

Use separate envelopes.  Do not combine them.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies