turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Timsf66

New child tax credit no earned income

I am disabled and on social security after camcer left me disabled. I have 3 young children 3,5 and 8 yrs old. I have no earned income. They say new rule is no minimum income to qualify for $3000-3600 per child. Is this correct? Do I qualify for the $1400 stimulus just passed with no earned income?. Sure many are wondering the same but there are 1 in tens of thousands or more like me. Would appreciate any links or info. Thank you

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

@Timsf66 wrote:

I am disabled and on social security after camcer left me disabled. I have 3 young children 3,5 and 8 yrs old. I have no earned income. They say new rule is no minimum income to qualify for $3000-3600 per child. Is this correct? Do I qualify for the $1400 stimulus just passed with no earned income?. Sure many are wondering the same but there are 1 in tens of thousands or more like me. Would appreciate any links or info. Thank you

The law has not been passed yet but it just increases the current $2,000 child tax credit to $3,000 and $3,600 for a child under age 6, but the qualifications are the same as the 2020 $2,000 credit. 

The amount of child tax credit you can receive is limited by your taxable income (1040 line 15).  If your taxable income is zero, then you are not eligible for any child tax credit.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

The enhanced Child Tax Credit in the current bill goes into effect for the 2021 tax year (returns filed in 2022).

Congress Passes $3,000 Child Tax Credit for 2021 | Kiplinger

bandit1203
Returning Member

they are both wrong. the minimum earnings floor has been dropped and everyone, income or not, now qualifies for the child tax credit. we will be able to opt out of monthly payments for the full amount. sounds like it should be gearing up around july-ish. so file your tax return as a non filer.

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Additionally, @Timsf66 you are eligible for the third round of stimulus payments.  You should file a 2020 tax return showing the child dependents to establish a baseline for the advanced Child Tax Credit payments that should start in July 2021. 

These will be advances on the 2021 Child Tax Credit. 

As mentioned above the rules for the 2020 Child Tax Credit have not changed, for 2021 the minimum earned income floor has been suspended and the the entire credit will be refundable in most cases.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies