turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

JImO
Level 1

Need to file New York return?

I live in NJ and am retired.  I previously worked in NY and have a NYS government pension which is not taxable in NY.  That is my ONLY NY income.  Do I still need to file a NY return since I received a 1099R?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DeanM15
Expert Alumni

If you live full time in New Jersey and have no New York sourced income (besides the 1099-R), then you do not have to file a New York tax return. 

New Jersey may tax your NY retirement income, however. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DeanM15
Expert Alumni

If you live full time in New Jersey and have no New York sourced income (besides the 1099-R), then you do not have to file a New York tax return. 

New Jersey may tax your NY retirement income, however. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for the info.  What about how to do that on turbo tax?    If I answer "yes" to Turbo Tax that I have income(pension) from another state then, it will generate the NY state return.  So do I answer "no" but still complete the section for 1099-R?

If you are not a NY State resident and do not have income earned from the State of NY, then you should not be indicating that your pension is from any other state than your home state. I am not sure what kind of pension you are referring to here, but unless you had NYS taxes withheld from your pension distributions (on your 1099-R) then it should be defaulting (again) to your home State. If your payer has one for your state and they have withheld any state income tax, it would be listed in box 13 on the 1099-R. If there is nothing listed in the State Payer number box (box 13), you can input NA (not available) in that box in the TurboTax software and just not specify a State - which will also cause it to default to your home State.

@WendyN2, thanks for your response.  I am a NJ resident and filing jointly with my husband.  He just started to collect a pension in 2020 from a previous government job in NY in 2020.  He is working in NJ now.  From the 1099-R, no tax has been withheld by NY nor NJ and box 13 is blank.  The pension is the only income from NY and based on what you said, we do not have to file tax return for NY.  I understand that we still have to report the 1099-R in our tax return for federal and NJ, I was previously confused if I have to treat the pension as income from NY and file NY tax return on top of NJ's.  Your assistance is much appreciated.  Thanks again.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies