turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My taxable income (single/widow) is $24,029. The tax calculated is only $2. According to the tax brackets, this should calculate to $2,686, not $2. What am I missing?

1st $9,875 at 10% and remaining $14,154 at 12% arrives at $2,686 tax owed.  I don't trust the $2 calculated by Turbo Tax.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

My taxable income (single/widow) is $24,029. The tax calculated is only $2. According to the tax brackets, this should calculate to $2,686, not $2. What am I missing?

At your income level, your dividend and long term capital gain income would not be taxable. It would still show as taxable income, but the tax rate is 0%, so there would be no tax on it.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Yes, you are right and the total tax amount cannot be $2 in your case. However, the amount could be attributable to the difference you need to pay after your withholdings and credits were calculated, not the tax liability.  

Line 15 (Taxable Income) is $24,092.  Line 16 (Tax) is $2.  Any credits are picked up later.  For me $4,400 for estimated tax payments (line 26).  There is no way I can file this return and I've paid for it.  I don't know what to do now.  This looks like a calculation error to me.

That could be an error.

You might create a diagnostic copy and  we will look at it.
Click on tax tools in the left menu bar, then Tools, then Share my file with an agent, which will create a diagnostic copy.

Keep in mind that diagnostic copies wipe out your personal information such as names, SSNs, addresses, etc.  Only numbers tied into calculations and numbers inputted are shown.  This is something the agent does with you over the phone if you are in need of figuring out specific errors.

The Diagnostic copy was created, please advise.

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

At your income level, your dividend and long term capital gain income would not be taxable. It would still show as taxable income, but the tax rate is 0%, so there would be no tax on it.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies