turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My tax returned got rejected due to my daughter's SSN got stolen. We just received her IP PIN. Where can I reenter it so that I can re file my taxes? Thanks,

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

My tax returned got rejected due to my daughter's SSN got stolen. We just received her IP PIN. Where can I reenter it so that I can re file my taxes? Thanks,

To enter a 6 digit IP PIN

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Other Tax Situations
  • Scroll down to Other Return Info
  • On Identity Protection PIN, click the start button

Or enter ip pin in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to ip pin

If you need to know how to open the return interview back up, at the Tax Home click on the link "Add a State."  That doesn't really add one, but will open the return interview back up.

Here are 3 ways to get to the right place to enter the IP PIN.  You only need to use one method.   You can choose which method works for you the best.

• With your return open, click in the top right on SEARCH.
  • Enter the term IP PIN without quotes, ignore the dropdown menu, and instead click the small magnifying glass on that same line.
  • Then click on Jump to IP PIN.

Or here's a second way:

• With your return open, click in the left menu column on TAX TOOLS, then choose TOOLS.
  • In the Tools window choose TOPIC SEARCH.
  • Enter the term IP PIN without quotes.
  • In the selection list highlight IP PIN and click GO.

Or here's a third navigation method:

• With your return open, in the left menu column, click Federal.
  • Then at the top of the screen choose  Other Tax Situation
  • If this is your first time in that section, answer the preliminary questions, and it may ask you if you have an IP PIN; if so keep following the screens as it guides you to enter it.
  • If it doesn't, such as you've previously been in that section, click on "See all uncommon tax situations" to see all the topics in that section.
  • In the "Uncommon tax situations" list, scroll down to Other Return Info, and expand to see the subtopics, one of which is Identity Protection PIN.

An IPPIN received in 2021 is only good for your 2021 tax next year.  The IPPIN will prevent another person from filing with her SSN next year so it will not be used by the e-file system.   Once a SSN has been used in the IRS e-file system, it will never be reset this year.   The IPPIN cannot prevent another person from filing a 2020 tax return if it has already been filed.     The IPPIN does not allow you to e-file, it prevents anyone else from e-fileing since they do not know the PIN - it does not work after-the-fact..

If her SSN was used for 2020 it is not possible to e-file for 2020.

If you or a dependent that you are entitled to claim has already been claimed by another taxpayer, your e-filed return will reject since the SSN has already been used (either intentionally or in error such as a mistyped SSN).

Your only recourse is to file a correct tax return, claiming what you are entitled to claim, then print and mail the return.

The IRS will process both returns and pay any refunds. Shortly (within a year) the IRS will mail letters to both taxpayers asking if their tax return was filed in error and suggesting that they amend if they improperly claimed.

If neither taxpayer amends, the IRS will send a second letter asking for each taxpayers proof that they are entitled to the claim.

The IRS will evaluate each taxpayers claim and award the credit to one taxpayer, the other will have to payback any refund received plus interest and possible penalties.

Do not ignore the letters or you will loose.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

@ macuser_22 

A 2021 IP PIN is to be used on any return filed in 2021, regardless of the tax year of the return.   So people filing 2020 returns now do use a 2021 IP PIN and should be able to efile.

Try it and see, but my understanding is that it will still reject because the SSN has been used.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

@ macuser_22 wrote:

Try it and see, but my understanding is that it will still reject because the SSN has been used.

Oh, I see what you are saying.   I was mainly responding (and perhaps too quickly) to the part you wrote about the current 2021 IP PIN not being good for a 2020 return.

The user mentioned the daughter's "SSN was stolen", but did not say what the actual rejection code/message was.  So it's not clear if the user's rejection notice was due to "missing IP PIN", or if the rejection notice was daughter's "SSN has already been used on a return."

Yeah, it can't hurt to try efiling with the new IP PIN, especially if it was an IP PIN rejection notice.  But as you also said, it may well produce another rejection notice if the SSN has already been used on another return.

Even if user ultimately has to file on paper, the IP PIN should be entered in the program so it will print on the paper return.

@ yeping_huang    If you respond in this thread, please make it clear which rejection error code/message you received with your first efile attempt.

Yes, if you or anyone in your family (as reported in your taxes) reported an identity theft, the IRS will REQUIRE an IP PIN.  It's a yearly hassle but worth it.  A friend had their identity stolen by someone who filed under my friend's name and received $5+K refund.  It took 2 years to straighten it out with the IRS.  However only months for his credit cards, bank accounts, and credit ratings.  Follow the steps every tax year to get a new IP PIN as well as the steps on TurboTax (both mentioned previously in this thread).  Pay attention to the previous year's AGI and SAVE your previous 5-digit E-file pin when you E-fil;e.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies