turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

JHam

My status is I owe Federal Tax but getting refund in state

Turbo tax will not allow me to file electronically because I selected No on Federal filing, but yes on State.

I wanted to use the State refund to pay off some of my Federal taxes I owe.  I would like to use form 4868 to extend my tax return to Oct. 15, So I could save enough money to payoff Federal tax.  Is this possible?. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
EricG
Intuit Alumni

That's a great idea, in theory, but unfortunately it won't work. 

Here's why: 

When you extend your Federal tax deadline, you don't extend the payment deadline. In simple terms - you still need to pay what you owe by April 17th, even if you don't file until October 15th. 

I would suggest setting up a payment plan for your Federal taxes until you receive your State refund. 

Here's how to do that: 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2840416-can-i-set-up-a-payment-plan-for-my-taxes

Additionally, the TurboTax software will also not allow a state return to be e-filed before (nor without) e-filing the federal return. You only have the option to either e-file them both together or file federal now and then come back and file state once federal is accepted. Please see here Can I e-file my state return before my federal?

Go to your state's tax information page. For example my state tax site is revenue.state.il.us. I don't know what state you are from but I know you can file your state taxes on the state tax page. They don't process federal returns so if you are only
trying to file your state return then this option is perfect for you. I hope I didn't confused you..... I tend to do that often lol😁
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies