Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My son tax claim

Can i claim the tax for my 7 months old american son overseas?

I am not an american citizen

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My son tax claim

@aff 88 

Since you said you are not an  American citizen, you may run into other issues.   TurboTax can only prepare returns for  American citizens and "resident aliens for tax purposes".   It cannot prepare a Form 1040NR for non-resident aliens.   I'm going to ask someone familiar with international filing to comment in this thread today and help you figure out how you are classified for tax purposes and what all you need to do.   Please provide the following info:

What country is your citizenship?  Did you work in the USA in 2018?    When did you first come to the USA?    What type of visa?  

Also, what year was the "7-month-old" son born?  Was he born in 2018?   And are you preparing a 2018 return?

@pk  Are you able to advise further in this thread when you are next in the forum?   Thanks!

View solution in original post

10 Replies

My son tax claim

Assuming you are filing a tax return and your son has a social security number and you provided more than half of his support for the year you can claim the other dependent child tax credit of $500.

My son tax claim

How can i fill it?

My son tax claim

Complete the personal information worksheet in the program and answer all the questions that the program asks you. The credit will be calculated automatically.

My son tax claim

@aff 88 

Since you said you are not an  American citizen, you may run into other issues.   TurboTax can only prepare returns for  American citizens and "resident aliens for tax purposes".   It cannot prepare a Form 1040NR for non-resident aliens.   I'm going to ask someone familiar with international filing to comment in this thread today and help you figure out how you are classified for tax purposes and what all you need to do.   Please provide the following info:

What country is your citizenship?  Did you work in the USA in 2018?    When did you first come to the USA?    What type of visa?  

Also, what year was the "7-month-old" son born?  Was he born in 2018?   And are you preparing a 2018 return?

@pk  Are you able to advise further in this thread when you are next in the forum?   Thanks!

My son tax claim

I came from Jordan in 22nd of December 2018
My son born in 21st of December 2018 (his mother was there already)
I am Jordanian and i did not work in USA, i am working in state of Qatar
i did not prepare anything but my friend told me that i can apply for my son cuz he is an American citizen and he have a social security number.

pk
Level 15
Level 15

My son tax claim

@aff 88, having gone through the above interaction , my questions are :     (a) You are from Jordan and entered USA  in Dec 2018 { were you here in USA before that, what are dates of entering and leaving   and   with what visa };  (b) your wife  is in the USA    { with  a visa -- which visa, or is a citizen/resident  ? };  (c) the child  was born in the USA  {is he registered as a citizen ? or ?  -- generally depends on the ctizenship of the parents unless some action is taken };  (d)  you say you did not earn any US sourced income { why nare you filing , is your wife employed , does she have SSN or ITIN  ? }   

Need these answers to determine if you are a resident / resident alien for tax purposes.  Generally, a non resident alien  is treated as single .  Please answer 

My son tax claim

(A) it was the first time in USA for me and my wife
(B) the visa we got fir both of us B1/B2 and now both of us left USA
(C)the child has an American passport and social security number (citizen)
(D)we want to apply for that cuz we need financial assistance, my wife not employed and no SSN OR ITIN

My son tax claim

(A) it was the first time in USA for me and my wife
(B) the visa we got fir both of us B1/B2 and now both of us left USA
(C)the child has an American passport and social security number (citizen)
(D)we want to apply for that cuz we need financial assistance, my wife not employed and no SSN OR ITIN

pk
Level 15
Level 15

My son tax claim

@aff 88 , I am now confused .   What I get is that you and your wife both were in USA on a  B visa  (  visitor for business or pleasure ); you had a child  who was born in the USA;  Child  has US citizenship ( Passport + SSN ); all of you live abroad.  

In my opinion:

(a) Since you  ( Non-Resident Alien ) do not have any income  from the USA, there is no requirement for you to file a US return;  

(b)  Because the child  is US citizen , a minor ,with ZERO  world income, there is no requirement for  the child to file a return .

(c) you as a Non-Resident Alien are not eligible  for any child related credits  because you  have  no income  that is US sourced / connected.

You can always visit the IRS section of the  US consulate in Qatar -- they  will help you .

Good Luck

My son tax claim

Thanks
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies