turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ronmul1960
Returning Member

My return was rejected for duplicate 1099-R but I have one for me and one for my wife so they are duplicates except for the name?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

24 Replies

My return was rejected for duplicate 1099-R but I have one for me and one for my wife so they are duplicates except for the name?

Try adding $1 to one of them, and subtracting $1 from the other.  Also be sure you don't assign both 1099-R forms to just one of you.

ronmul1960
Returning Member

Thanks. They are assigned to two separate names for sure but the amount is identical.  I suppose there is no illegality in changing the amount to avoid this duplicate error?

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

When you entered your 1099-R information, you should have been prompted to answer Who does this 1099-R belong to?

1099-R owner

Go back to the following section to determine if each 1099-R was classified to the correct person.  If you determine both were assigned to only one of you, delete that form and add a new one to make sure they are properly reported for each of you.

1099-R assignment

The input would be under the Federal income section as follows: 

1. Select Income & Expenses 
  2. Scroll down to All Income 
  3. Select show more to the right of Retirement Plans & Social Security 
  4. Select start/revisit to the right of IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R) 
  5. To enter additional 1099-R forms, simply select +Add Another 1099-R.  To delete, simply select Delete to the right of the applicable 1099-R form.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ronmul1960
Returning Member

One was assigned to me "Ron" and the other to my wife "Rachel". This was done correctly. Any other explanations?

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

Please try to add a penny to one of the 1099s and resubmit your return.  Source

bknight0
Returning Member

Why can't Turbotax prioritize a fix for this?

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

This is not a TurboTax error, this is an IRS rejection criteria. The IRS will not accept a return with what they see as duplicate forms.

bknight0
Returning Member

Catina - I resubmitted my returns and now it's been close to 24 hours w/ them in a pending state.  Normally I would get an update within an hour or two the returns were accepted.  Can you explain now what's going on?

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

It can take up to 48 hours for your tax returns to show as accepted.  For more information on why some returns stay in pending status longer, please see Why is my return still pending?

@bknight0

HV_Paul
Returning Member

I have the same problem or rejection (twice) by IRS for duplicate 1099-R forms.  I have verified that the forms are correctly classified both by data entry and viewing the resulting 1099-R forms in Print center.  In the print center each form has the correct name and SSN.  one form has the "If Spouse's 1099-R check this box" marked.  The amounts in box 2a and box 5 differ by a few cents.  If these are duplicates, HOW DO I FIX THIS?

SusanY1
Employee Tax Expert

The workaround for this is to add $! to the Box 1 in either entry so that they differ by a dollar.  This will resolve the e-file issue without making a material change to your tax return. 

There's any number of ways to make the 1099-Rs that are being treated as duplicate different.
For one or both of the 1099-Rs:

• enter a date in Box 13
  • enter an account number
  • change the zip code in the payer's address to point to some other city.
  • enter an amount in box 8
  • enter an amount in box 17 or 19

I too am having the same issue.  It thinks I have duplicate 1099-Rs even though one is in my name and the other is in my wife's name.  Both are for the same amount from the same financial institution.  However, in our case, this was done as part of a back-door Roth IRA conversion, so I'm not sure if changing the amounts by $0.01 will alter things since I converted the full $6000 limit for each of us. 

I can't report $6000.01 since that is technically over the IRS contribution limit for a Roth IRA.  And a contribution of $5999.99 won't match up with the $6000 conversion that appears in the Retirement and Investments subsection under Deductions & Credits.  I'm not sure if making that change works in my specific instance.  

This situation is frustrating since I've had the exact same seemingly "duplicate 1099-R's" for the past several years and it has never been rejected by the IRS.  Seems like some sort of error on either their end of Turbotax's that wasn't there in previous years.  

The "cents" are rounded to the nearest dollar anyway.  Only the dollar amount gets sent to the IRS.

See this TurboTax FAQ:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/electronic-filing/help/why-am-i-getting-a-1099-r-duplicate-rejecti...

Why am I getting a 1099-R Duplicate rejection error message when my 1099-R's aren't duplicated?

Some TurboTax Online and Desktop customers are experiencing an issue where they’re getting a 1099-R Duplicate rejection error when the 1099-R's aren't duplicated. The error message reads “Unfortunately, we've noticed your return may have included duplicate Form 1099-R information. Please log in to TurboTax in order to resolve this issue before we can e-file your accurate return.” This issue can prevent users from e-filing their non-duplicate 1099R's.

We’re currently working to resolve this inconvenient issue. If you’d like to receive progress status updates, please sign up here.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies