turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

null531

My return states that I need to wait until the AMT form (6251) is available before filing. Don't I create that? Why do I need to wait?

My TurboTax is saying that Form 6251 will be "Available to File" as of 2/18/2021 (it just moved the date back from 2/11/2021).
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

My return states that I need to wait until the AMT form (6251) is available before filing. Don't I create that? Why do I need to wait?

My guess is that the IRS has not yet finalized that form for 2020 yet. No you do not create it but Turbotax does based on information you supply. Yes if you had income subject to the AMT tax, you need to wait until that form is available. i

Amymx200

I am having the same issue. No help from turbotax on this issue so far.

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

It depends.

If you were subject to Alternative Minimum Tax in the past or if your return may be subject to it this year, you will need to wait until the form is available to file your income tax return.  Please see the link below for the anticipated release date in TurboTax.

Federal forms release date

If your return was subject to AMT in prior years, you would need to enter the information to ensure your tax return for 2020 is prepared accurately.  

You can log into TurboTax if you used the software in the past and obtain the returns to see your AMT for 2019, if applicable. 

Accessing prior year returns in TurboTax 

If you did not have AMT in 2019, you can go back into your federal return to reflect this information as well.

1. Log back into TurboTax and go to the Federal interview section
  2. Select Other Tax Situations at the top of the page
  3. Under All uncommon situations, select Alternative Minimum Tax
  4. Proceed to answer the questions as prompted.

Your input in the federal section will also pull into your state tax return.

What is Alternative Minimum Tax

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies