turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My return rejected for incorrect prior year agi. I used turbotax last year so i know its correct. I got a transcript from IRS and it is correct. What do I do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

27 Replies
JulieS
Employee Tax Expert

My return rejected for incorrect prior year agi. I used turbotax last year so i know its correct. I got a transcript from IRS and it is correct. What do I do?

Did you amend your return during 2018? If you did, you need to use the original AGI before changes were made.. 

If you filed after April 15 last year, try using $0 or indicating that you didn't file.

If your 2018 was a joint tax return, the total AGI on the return is listed for each spouse.

In other words if the combined AGI is $60,000 on a joint return, you list $60,000 as the AGI for the taxpayer and $60,000 as the AGI for the spouse.

If the information is correct and the return gets rejected anyway, you will need to print and mail in your tax return. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Mine was also, so I double checked the AGI from my 2018 return and re-entered it. That didn't work, so I called and talked to so called "experts". They were of no help. I went to the IRS and got a transcript of my 2018 return and entered the AGI from the transcript[t, which was the same number I had originally, and resubmitted. Nothing has worked. I am convinced Turbo Tax has a bug in their software, but they won't admit it.

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

The IRS uses your prior year AGI to combat fraud. 

You can find your 2018 Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) by:

• Looking at line 7 on page 2 of your 2018 Form 1040; or
  • You can request a transcript of your 2018 tax return from the IRS to ensure you have the right number. You can request your transcript online at the following link: Get Transcript 

Check these items as well to ensure you have the correct number.  If you:

• Filed late last year after mid-November or your return was processed after that time—try entering 0.
  • Amended your return last year—make sure you’re using the AGI from your original return, not the amended one. (If you only have a 1040X form, it’s on line 1, column A).
  • Rounded your AGI to the nearest dollar—be sure to round up when it’s 50 cents or more and down when it’s 49 cents or less.
  • Filed with your spouse last year—you and your spouse have the same 2018 AGI. (Don’t split the AGI amount or enter 0 for one of you).

Unfortunately, without the correct number, your only option would be to print and mail in your return. 

This article will give you instruction on how to print and mail your return.

So I didn’t file taxes later and I put $0 as the AIG . It was rejected. So do I put the AIG from my 2018 taxes?

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

I will suggest you to print out your tax forms and paper file to the IRS.  To see explanations, click here:

Correct AGI got rejected

The AGI is calculated as follows:

• It is equal to the total income you report that’s subject to income tax—such as earnings from your job, self-employment, dividends and interest from a bank account—minus specific deductions, or “adjustments” that you’re eligible to take.
  • Your AGI is calculated before you take the standard or itemized deductions —which you report in later sections of the return.

To learn more, click here: AGI

JulieS, I'm having the same problem. However there is a slight difference. My husband didn't mail our 2019 corrected tax return until 2021. We had to provide proof of having our grandchild as someone else claimed him before we had filed so our efile was rejected and we had to refile sending proof of him being with us.

My husband said he mailed it, but I later found out he didn't when we didn't get our stimulus checks.

I used turbo tax for our 2020 return and just received a text saying that it was rejected due to the AGI being incorrect. I researched it and found that I was suppose to put zero due to him mailing it past September of 2020. If we are rejected again, which return am I to mail? Do I mail the 2019 return again or the 2020 return? I know that sounds like a very simple thing, but I'm seriously tired of getting rejected. We now have two years worth of tax returns with the IRS mailed literally within a couple of weeks of each other and both are with refunds (2020 includes the stimulus we didn't receive). So I'm seriously unsure of what to do.

Enter 0 (zero) for AGI if filed late.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Thank you

I am having the same problem! I even went to the irs website and checked with their records. It matches. I am beyond annoyed.

I just ended up submitting with the same $ amount again and it was accepted 🙄

I have been rejected three times now. Like I said, all records from the IRS match.  I am beyond frustrated

Same issues.  I agree I think it's turbotax..

I am having the same issue. The first time it was legit, I have resubmitted now 3 times and it has been rejected 3 times saying my AGI is still wrong. Turbo Tax shows my correct AGI now but it keeps rejecting for the initial mistaken AGI...Been on hold now for almost 3hours and very frustrated.

Ugh..Me too! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies