Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lrankin

My return keeps getting rejected asking for spouse's AGI. We are married filing jointly, and were last year as well. I don't know where to find an individual AGI.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

My return keeps getting rejected asking for spouse's AGI. We are married filing jointly, and were last year as well. I don't know where to find an individual AGI.

There is only one AGI on a joint return.  It is the same AGI for both spouses.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
TM1225

I have used last years' AGI, but the return keeps getting rejected.  It's asking for the wife's AGI.  Wife deceased last year so system not asking for PIN information on her.

@TM1225 wrote:

I have used last years' AGI, but the return keeps getting rejected.  It's asking for the wife's AGI.  Wife deceased last year so system not asking for PIN information on her.

The 2018 AGI is the same for both of you if you filed as Married Filing Jointly in 2018.

Unfortunately, even with the correct 2018 AGI, the IRS will reject most e-filed tax returns when one of the taxpayers on the return is deceased.  Your only option is to print and mail the 2019 tax return.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for printing a tax return for mailing - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/printing/help/how-do-i-print-and-mail-my-return-in-turbotax-online...

p1cunnin

It would be nice if Intuit just said to file paper when one spouse is deceased. They do that on my state tax return and I'm trying to file Federal for the third time. Sucks that I'll have to go out right now to get to the post office.

@p1cunnin wrote:

It would be nice if Intuit just said to file paper when one spouse is deceased. They do that on my state tax return and I'm trying to file Federal for the third time. Sucks that I'll have to go out right now to get to the post office.

Because you can e-file when a spouse is deceased, unless the SSA has frozen the SSN, but there is not way to know that until you try to e-file.

The problem with the spouses AGI preventing e-file appears to be a bug that is being investigated.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies