Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My mom claimed me as her dependent in her 2018 tax return. She is filing her 2019 tax return tonight, in which she won’t be claiming me as a dependent. Will I be getting my stimulus check (I file

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

My mom claimed me as her dependent in her 2018 tax return. She is filing her 2019 tax return tonight, in which she won’t be claiming me as a dependent. Will I be getting my stimulus check (I file

If you file your own tax return, and give your Bank Account details for a direct deposit of your Refund, the IRS will have your info for the Stimulus Check. 

If you are not getting a refund, however, you won't be asked for your bank info.

If you are not required to file a return, you can register at the TurboTax Stimulus Check site. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I filed my 2019 taxes on the last week of January. And I already got my refund. But will it not be an issue and that I might not get my stimulus check since my mom barely filed her 2019 tax return (she didn’t claim me as a dependent) a couple of days ago, and on her 2018 taxes I was a dependent? Will I be okay to receive the check as long as I filed my 2019 taxes with my bank info? Or will I not be eligible to get it? 

KarenJ2
Expert Alumni

When you prepared your return, If you did not check that you can be claimed as a dependent on anyone else's return, then you will probably receive a stimulus check.  If you did check that you can be claimed as a dependent on someone's tax return, then you will not get a check.

If you provided the IRS with your bank information, then you should be fine if you are scheduled to get a check.

The IRS will first look at the 2019 return and if there is no 2019 return, they will then look at the 2018 return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ecall
Returning Member

Hi, can I go in and revise this? I clicked they can claim me but they will not be doing so. 

ecall
Returning Member

Also, just to make sure I am understanding correctly...  i will not get a stimulus check if they CAN claim me but will not be doing so? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies