turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My itemized deductions will not transfer over onto my state return, I have restarted twice. and it does the same thing, how do I get it to go over?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
Irene2805
Expert Alumni

My itemized deductions will not transfer over onto my state return, I have restarted twice. and it does the same thing, how do I get it to go over?

What state return are you doing?

I’m doing an Idaho State return 

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

In reviewing the Idaho return, I found that the itemized deductions are flowing normally from the federal return to the ID return. 

It might be that the Idaho standard deduction is more beneficial to you.  TurboTax will use either the standard deduction of itemized deductions, whichever give a better result.  For 2019, the Idaho standard deductions are:

• Single or married filing separately - $12,200
  • Married filing jointly or qualifying widow(er) -  $24,400
  • Head of household - $18,350

My itemized deductions are almost $3k over the standard deduction...

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

It may be that your state tax is what is making your itemized deductions more than your state standard deduction. The state tax is not deductible on your state tax return, so once you subtract that from your federal itemized deduction, your state standard deduction may be more beneficial to you.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies