Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My husband and I file a joint. I made the turbo tax account, I pay the bills, I handle all finances and I am the bread winner. Why does turbo tax only address him?

I even believe that the first year we used turbo tax he was not even employed so I was the only one with income.  He doesn't even know how to log into turbo tax.  I literally put everything in my name, I even pay the bill but yet turbo tax and the IRS address us like its HIM!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

My husband and I file a joint. I made the turbo tax account, I pay the bills, I handle all finances and I am the bread winner. Why does turbo tax only address him?

Don't take it personally but the TurboTax program addresses the primary taxpayer on the return no matter who it is. So if he's the one that's listed first things are skewed towards him and not towards both of you and again don't take offense and whatever you do do not change positions on the tax return is that only confuses the IRS. When you file a joint return it doesn't matter who makes what so just leave your positions as is going forward.

The software does not have a web cam on you to see who is at the keyboard.   Whichever one of your names is listed on the tax return first is the name the software will "talk" to when you prepare the tax return.  Changing the order of the names from a previous year's joint return can really make a mess.  Do not do it.

ORDER OF NAMES ON A JOINT RETURN  https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901551-does-the-order-of-the-names-on-a-joint-return-matter

And.....you call yourself the "breadwinner" so that's fine----you can file a joint return even if one spouse makes little or no income.   

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I get that they don't see who is at the computer.  But you literally tell them who is making the account.   (Turbo tax)

I can't even use mint though turbo tax because it is geared to him. 

The software does not care which account you used- -- it goes by the name you typed in first when you began the tax return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies