Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

My federal was supposed to be 5k for the return according to turbo tax. I see the irs has changed it to 1k citing reference number 9021. Why such a drastic change?

I'm in the same situation here.  I went over my return.  Couldn't find any issues.  Love paying for tax assistance and prep just to get a headache from the IRS.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

My federal was supposed to be 5k for the return according to turbo tax. I see the irs has changed it to 1k citing reference number 9021. Why such a drastic change?

The IRS should be sending you a letter outlining the math error. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Silia
Returning Member

Hello pls my refund was supposed to be 1304$

But when i check today they decrease it to 0$ pls tell me what I can do because I try the whole day to call them but no answer 

@Silia Please wait for a letter from the IRS.  They do not notify TT.

Silia
Returning Member

What you mean notified TT??

TT = Turbo Tax

After your return is sent to the IRS then Turbo Tax is done with their part.  The IRS does not update or notify Turbo Tax anything about your return.  

A common adjustment is if you claimed the Recovery Rebate Credit on 1040 line 30 when you already got the Stimulus payments or got the second one after you filed or reported the wrong amounts. Do you have an amount on line 30?

Silia
Returning Member

Yes 600$  it's the stimulus check because I didn't get it with direct deposit 

Silia
Returning Member

Hello pls tell i will get my money from irs or no?

IRS took my advance child tax credit and gave me a code 9021??? I re did taxes on 5 seperate sites after this (did not submit) and there is no issue. I can't amend if I don't know the issue. Can't get threw to irs on phone and takes weeks for a letter. HELP I need this credit...

@dkrahn8447 Did you enter the wrong amount of advance CTC payments you received?   Or did you enter some other income incorrectly?

9021– Reference Code for all math error conditions.

Note that a "math error" can occur if you make a data entry mistake, or forget to claim some income; and thus the refund amount is incorrectly calculated..  The IRS will be sending you a letter. They do not notify TT. 

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Vanessa A
Employee Tax Expert

Code 9021 is a "math error" code.  This could be that when you entered your Advanced Child Tax Credit amount, you entered the wrong amount or that you had another form that the IRS has that you did not include on your return.  If you are getting the same number on 5 separate sites, it is likely that you are missing income of some type on your return that was reported to the IRS.  Did you have a job that you were at for a short time and never got the W2 for?

Since the IRS caught the issue, you do not need to amend or do anything to make changes as they are changing it for you.  The IRS phone lines are very busy this time of year, but they are the only ones that can tell you what is happening with your return.  Once TurboTax transmits your return and it is accepted, we do not receive any further information about your return. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
JaydenDiegel191919
Returning Member

This is happening to so many people. The IRS is blatantly stealing money. The Stimulus has nothing to do with what you should be getting on your refund as far as your federal withholding are concerned. You paid in federal taxes and should be getting it ALL back. This is theft period. No more TT for me, using a tax office from now on.

@JaydenDiegel191919 

"You paid in federal taxes and should be getting it ALL back."

Where did you get the notion that you should get back all of the tax that was withheld from your wages?  Your refund is the difference between the amount of tax you owe and the amount that was withheld.   If you paid MORE than your tax liability you get  a refund for the difference.   If you did not pay enough to meet your liability then you owe.

The stimulus money was not taxable and did not affect your refund or tax due.   

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
JaydenDiegel191919
Returning Member

They said they did 5 returns (without submitting) and there were NO issues with any of them, only TT. no more TT for me either.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies