turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

emiernicki
Returning Member

My federal taxes are being rejected for my sons social security #. He was a full-time student, &; I full paid all his living expenses for 2019. Doug?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies
Carl
Level 15

My federal taxes are being rejected for my sons social security #. He was a full-time student, &; I full paid all his living expenses for 2019. Doug?

Did your son already e-file his tax return and was it accepted? If yes, then most likely your son incorrectly reported that he could not be claimed on someone else's tax return.

I full paid all his living expenses for 2019.

There is no requirement for you the parent to provide your college student any support.Not. One. Single. Penny. The support requirement is on the student, and only the student. That requirement reads:

If the student did not provide more than half of the student's own support for the entire tax year, then the parents qualify to claim the student as a dependent on the parent's tax return. Third party income Scholarships, grants, 529 distributions, money from mom and dad, etc.) *DOES* *NOT* *COUNT* for the student providing their own support.

So if your son is an undergraduate, it his extremely doubtful that he provided more than half of his own support for the entire 365 day tax year.

emiernicki
Returning Member

He has on his firm that he could be claimed by another; & was a student. He just graduated in 2019. Worked pt after school ; & made $1200. His account seems linked to mine. I'm dmiernicki. My account is showing emiernicki above.

emiernicki
Returning Member

He was in high school.

emiernicki
Returning Member

I'm a single parent with only my income to support. His federal shows he could be claimed by a parent, being a student in high school. Also how is his "emiernicki"; showing above, when I signed in under my info. That is really messing up my tax return, to no fault of my own. Please help me correct this issue, or delete my account. I've been dealing with this over a week. Ty Doug 

Are you using your son's account to file YOUR return ???     If so start a new account for yourself. 

emiernicki
Returning Member

I really need to resolve this issue asap. I have a mortgage, & bills to pay. Have been unemployed over a month from this cover 19 virus. Please help or delete my account.

emiernicki
Returning Member

My sons account needs at least needs to be deleted, because his account seems to be attached to mine. Again, above ID is his, mine is dmiernicki.

emiernicki
Returning Member

I have my own account. My taxes have been processed a few times. Then was sent a text rejected for his social security. He was a high school student. I fully supported him.

emiernicki
Returning Member

Please tell me how to proceed to e-file my tax return? All my info is correct, & because of a full-time student's (my son) social security #, I lose over $2200.00 that I rightfully paid, & a few weeks longer waiting for my much needed tax return money.

emiernicki
Returning Member

Please help me resolve this issue, that is clearly no fault of my own. Direct me to proper associates to fix this, or please delete my sons accounts, or I will continue to have these issues, because I have 3-4 times trying to file my tax return.

Please use the following link to contact Customer Support for further assistance.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies