turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

brentto

My estimated refund includes the amount from my nonrefundable tax credit. Is it still okay to submit?

Form 8936 for EV credit attached, but final line in 1040 has the "Amount to be refunded" with the nonrefundable credit included.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Irene2805
Expert Alumni

My estimated refund includes the amount from my nonrefundable tax credit. Is it still okay to submit?

Yes - This is correct.  The nonrefundable credit for electric vehicles is handled on your tax return.  It reduces the taxes you have to pay and in turn increases your refund.  The credit is not a separate transaction.  So go ahead and submit your return!

brentto

Thanks for the reply. I read that nonrefundable credits would only reduce my tax liability but not go "below" 0 resulting in a refund. Just wanted to make sure that it's correct in showing that I'm expecting that amount because the credit is covering some interest tax that I owe so I thought it would net me 0 in the end.

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

You are correct --  a nonrefundable credit can only reduce your tax liability but not go below 0.  If your tax liability is zero, you get back any withholding that might have been taken out during the year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies