turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My capital gains are not included in my AGI...WHY?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

short term loss carryovers are first netted against current year net short term capital gains (if current year short term losses they get added) .   so you end up with a net short term amount.   the same is true of long term loss carryovers so you end up with a net long term amount.   .  if either of these are losses they get netted against each other.  if the result is a net loss - line 16 of schedule D - only a maximum of $3,000 can be deducted in the current year.  the remainder gets carried forward to 2019. - schedule 1 line 13

so with 65K of loss carryovers and 27K of current year gains the net is a loss of 38K  of which 3k gets deducted and 35k gets carried over.   

in TT there should be a worksheet showing the carryover to 2019.  if you use TT for 2019 return and transferring data, the carryover will be included.     note transferring of prior year data must be done as the first step in preparing your 2019 return  

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Cap gains are reported on the 8949, 4797 or several other forms then consolidated on the Sch D before the net of losses to gains are carried to the Sch 1 and then to the 1040.   Track down the reported income ... post back if you don't understand by listing which line on which form is confusing to you.   

And if this is for the 2019 return where the program is FAR from fully functional then you may need to wait until the program is updated several times ... the program is usually not ready until sometime in January or early February depending on the IRS delays.  

More info..on 2018 return have 27k long term cap gains that is not included in AGI. Have short term carry over losses of 65k. It appears that my LT cap gains are offset by these ST losses. Also had LT losses but hose have been depleted to LT 3k. Have looked up how AGI is calculated and never anything about excluding cap gains. So confused.... thanks for insights

Anonymous
Not applicable

short term loss carryovers are first netted against current year net short term capital gains (if current year short term losses they get added) .   so you end up with a net short term amount.   the same is true of long term loss carryovers so you end up with a net long term amount.   .  if either of these are losses they get netted against each other.  if the result is a net loss - line 16 of schedule D - only a maximum of $3,000 can be deducted in the current year.  the remainder gets carried forward to 2019. - schedule 1 line 13

so with 65K of loss carryovers and 27K of current year gains the net is a loss of 38K  of which 3k gets deducted and 35k gets carried over.   

in TT there should be a worksheet showing the carryover to 2019.  if you use TT for 2019 return and transferring data, the carryover will be included.     note transferring of prior year data must be done as the first step in preparing your 2019 return  

Excellant!. Thanks much.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies