Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TinaW65
Returning Member

My 401K Plan Admin states I do not have to pay taxes on my distribution - COVID - but Turbo Tax is still showing I am to be taxed via form 8915-E

I am completing form 8915-E yet it still says I have to be taxed.  I have 3 years to repay my loan so why am I being taxed?   My 1099 R show the distribution and 8915-E wants me to be taxed on 1/3 of the amount.  I am not to be taxed on any of it.  Zero tax.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

My 401K Plan Admin states I do not have to pay taxes on my distribution - COVID - but Turbo Tax is still showing I am to be taxed via form 8915-E

complying with the plan's requirements regarding a loan would make it non-taxable.  as a matter of fact, you should only receive a 1099-R for a 401(k) loan if you violate the plan's or tax code provisions such as borrowing too much or failure to timely repay the loan.   if you quit employment it is a deemed distribution and it becomes taxable at your termination. contact the administrator to get this straightened out. 

TinaW65
Returning Member

Hi Mike, thank you, but my situation is different.  The situation is regarding a 401K loan from a former employer-plan.  The employer-plan has allowed for former employees to take COVID loans out during 2020 on a 3-year repayment schedule.  No taxes and full repayment allowed.  I did get a 1099-R and instructions to complete form 8915-E to avoid taxes, but I don't know how to fill out the form to prevent taxation via TurboTax.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies