turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rohit1600

My 2018 tax filing shows both LTCG and STCG being added to the 1040 line 6. It seems both are treated as regular income. How does LTCG get the lower tax rate then?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My 2018 tax filing shows both LTCG and STCG being added to the 1040 line 6. It seems both are treated as regular income. How does LTCG get the lower tax rate then?

The capital gains flow into the Form 1040 from the new Schedule 1 (and possibly a Schedule D before that), and they will show as part of total income and adjusted gross income, which is likely what you are seeing on the Form 1040, Lines 6 and 7.  However, the actual tax calculation occurs on the "Qualified Dividends and Capital Gain Tax Worksheet".  On that worksheet is where the LTCG get the favorable tax treatment.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

The tax will be calculated on the Qualified Dividends and Capital Gain Tax Worksheet.  It does not get filed with your return.  In the online version you need to save your return as a pdf file and include all worksheets to see it.

For the Desktop version you can switch to Forms Mode and open the worksheet to see it.  Click Forms in the upper right (upper left for Mac) and look through the list and open the Qualified Dividends and Capital Gain Tax Worksheet.

The capital gains flow into the Form 1040 from the new Schedule 1 (and possibly a Schedule D before that), and they will show as part of total income and adjusted gross income, which is likely what you are seeing on the Form 1040, Lines 6 and 7.  However, the actual tax calculation occurs on the "Qualified Dividends and Capital Gain Tax Worksheet".  On that worksheet is where the LTCG get the favorable tax treatment.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies