turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

zs1995
Returning Member

Wanting to speak to customer service

Why can’t I speak to customer service?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies

What do you mean "I re-filed the same W-2 this year?"  The tax laws have had major changes from 2018 and beyond.  if you used 2019 software to see a refund for a 2017 W-2 the results will not be accurate at all.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
zs1995
Returning Member

I resubmitted the same information on my w2 and got a different number! I feel like the information for my 2017 refund was inaccurate. 

Really?  Do you know all of the tax reform laws that changed things for 2018 and beyond?  You cannot get accurate results for tax year 2017 by using 2019 software.   You can only get accurate results for 2017 if you use 2017 software

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-reform/help/how-will-tax-reform-affect-my-federal-tax-return/0...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-reform/help/which-federal-tax-deductions-have-been-suspended-b...

And what are you doing "re-filing" a 2017 W-2 that has already been filed on a 2017 return?  You cannot do that.  if you think something was wrong with your 2017 return, you can amend the 2017 return to correct the mistake if one was made.   You are not allowed to include 2017 income on a 2019 tax  return, or to file a 2017 return using 2019 software.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
zs1995
Returning Member

That what I was trying to do! But it wouldn’t let me! So I tried plugging the information and seeing what I did wrong! I have submitted to IRS! I just want to know what was wrong! Would be nice to actually speak to someone! You’re not really helping here sorry!

zs1995
Returning Member

Haven’t*

GabiU
Level 15

Thanks for all your help @xmasbaby0 

@zs1995 You'll need your 2019 documents to file your 2019 taxes. 

If you're looking to file for 2017, you'll need 2017 software.
If you want to change your 2017 return, you'll need to amend. Check out this FAQ on amending a prior year return. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
GabiU
Level 15

@zs1995 I removed your recent response from this post. 

I understand being frustrated, especially during a stressful time of year. Everyone on this community forum is doing their best to help you; we're all here to help each other no matter the background or experience of an individual. 

In your recent response you noted "I was trying to fix my 2017 taxes and thought I could somehow see where I messed up! But I wasn’t the one! It was clearly TURBO TAX!". Can you explain in more detail what the TurboTax error was? 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
buenjuezl

Bought Home & Business.  Do four return,   Each gave a different answer.  I submitted 3 retukrns.  Am holding one back.  Is it the software or my computer   [phone number removed]

buenjuezl

All three tax returns gave me different amount for the final result.  The first return had a refund and the second time I did it HAD to pay.  The other two return had to pay but after redoing them got a refund.  The last one the depreciation amont did no matched with my estimated amount.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@buenjuezl 

If you are getting different results, there is likely an entry error.

you sent in the same tax return more than once?   You realize you should not do this, right? 

@buenjuezl   WHAT?  What are you doing?  Why are you filing 4 returns?  Are they for different people?  Or do you mean 4 forms like a W2?  

You have to enter all your income on the same tax return.  You only can file 1 tax return.  

Do you mean after you entered the first W2 you had a refund then you entered the next W2 it changed to a tax due?  You only get one refund or tax due for all your income combined.  The Refund Monitors won't be right until you have entered all your income.  So don't look at it until you are done.

That's common.  It just looks that way because you put them in as separate W2s and saw the tax due change in between them. If it all was on one W2 you would get the same answer. And each job was withholding like it was your only job.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies