turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jmmayor70

My 17 year old Daughter was diagnosed with Autism around the age of 5. She can never live alone. Is she considered disabled?

Should I mark her as disabled?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
tiff8901
Returning Member

My 17 year old Daughter was diagnosed with Autism around the age of 5. She can never live alone. Is she considered disabled?

Yes, and if she's receiving SSI and the IRS asks you to prove her disability. Her awards letter with your name above hers will verify it. 

HelenC12
Expert Alumni

Yes, if your daughter has a physicians statement or is receiving SSI disability, she is disabled.

Per IRS: Child with Disabilities – You may be able to claim a child who is any age and permanently and totally disabled if the child meets the relationship test and all other tests to be your qualifying child for purposes of the EITC. The IRS considers a child permanently and totally disabled if both of the following are true:

1. The child cannot engage in any substantial gainful activity because of a physical or mental condition.
  2. It is medically determined that the condition has lasted or can be expected to last continuously for at least a year or to lead to death.

For more information, see our page, Disability and the Earned Income Tax Credit.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Disabled for tax purposes has a very specific meaning. It means that a person is unable to perform substantial gainful work due to a condition that is permanent or that will last at least one year or that will lead to death.

this means that many people who have physical disabilities that would be recognized by a doctor are not disabled for income tax purposes as long as they can still work.  

The ability to work a minimum wage job with minimal special accommodations is considered by the IRS as proof that a person can perform substantial gainful work. However, work in a sheltered workshop for people with disabilities is not considered substantial gainful work even if the person gets paid.

So the question is not whether your daughter has a diagnosis or whether your daughter can live alone, the question is whether your daughter can perform gainful employment.  If your daughter can’t perform substantial gainful work, then you can indicate that she is disabled on the tax return and that will give you certain additional benefits as described by the other expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies