turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cboyd9909

My 1099G form is incorrect. I did not receive the amount listed on it. How do I correct it? Nobody at the department of labor will pick up the phone or return my emails.

I’m not sure if there’s a form online that I can fill out and submit. I’m at a bit of a loss on how to start correcting it. Thank you.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
PattiF
Expert Alumni

My 1099G form is incorrect. I did not receive the amount listed on it. How do I correct it? Nobody at the department of labor will pick up the phone or return my emails.

To clarify this question, which state are you trying to reach?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
cboyd9909

Georgia @PattiF 

SamS1
Expert Alumni

There were 2 programs issuing unemployment benefits through the states in 2020, your GA state benefits and the PEUC through the Feds.  If you had your benefits direct deposit, you can go back through your deposit account to total how much was received.  Also note the benefit amount received would be reduced by any Federal or State taxes withheld.  You would be able to determine your net benefits received by subtracting any Federal of State taxes from the Total benefits amount on the 1099G.

There also have been cases of identity theft associated with unemployment benefits in 2020.  Click here to review information on this subject from the IRS.gov website.

cboyd9909

Yes, that’s how I figured out that it was wrong. My 1099-G states that I got more then what was actually deposited in my account therefore it’s trying to make me pay taxes on money I never received. How do I correct my 1099-G to ensure I don’t pay taxes on money I didn’t receive? @SamS1 

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

If your 1099-G contains incorrect information, you will need to contact your state that issued this form so they can correct it and issue you anew one. 

Not helpful.  I am in the same situation.  My state (Ohio) will not have corrected 1099s out before the filing deadline.  Federal guidelines say not to report income we did not actually receive.  I can enter my overstated 1099G numbers - how do I back out the amount stolen by identity thieves?  If I put in a second 1099G with a negative number reflecting the hijacked amount, your form gives errors since zeroes in other fields on the form are not "less than half" the amount of the negative number I've entered.

Is there another form or a better way to back out amounts stolen by identity thieves while waiting on a corrected 1099?

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

The best way would be to file an extension and when you receive your corrected 1099G file your return at that time.  However, if you know what the correct amount should be on your 1099G you can enter the amount as an adjustment. To enter the adjustment follow these steps:

1. Log in to your TurboTax account if it is not open.
  2. Select the Wages & Income tab.
  3. Scroll down to Less common income click Show more.
  4. On the page Let's Work on Any Miscellaneous Income click on Other reportable income.
  5. On the page Any Other Taxable Income?  select yes.
  6. On the page, Other Taxable Income enter 1099G Adjustment for the description and the amount of the adjustment.
  7. Select continue and answer No on the next page.

You should be aware that you may be contacted by the IRS at some time in the future if they have any questions if you use this method.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies