patelshyam2002

Moved from MO to CA for new job earlier I was unemployed

Can I able to deduct my moving expenses from CA income tax as my employer is not reimbursing the expenses but providing me a joining bonus as part of salary which would be taxable? 

Employee moving expenses are not deductible on a federal tax return due to the tax code changes in effect for tax years 2018 thru 2025.

AdamNe

Hello, @patelshyam2002 !

Starting in tax year 2018, moving expenses are only deductible for active duty members of the armed forces who have a permanent change of station while on a military order. 

However, unreimbursed moving expenses may be deductible in California as an itemized deduction. Strangely enough, you will need to enter the moving expenses in the federal portion of the TurboTax interview, and they will flow to your California return as itemized deductions. 

Unless the joining on bonus was explicitly stated to be a reimbursement of moving expenses, I don't believe that will cause any problem.