turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why can't I finalize my tax return

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

More details, please.  Are you talking about your federal return or state?
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I just filled out all info then paid for turbo tax then this : The IRS hasn't finalized one or more of your forms. Once forms are finalized, you will be able to access this section

It's federal
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

Your 1040 return may include forms and schedules that have not yet been finalized for filing.  You will be able to complete and file as soon as these forms become available.

For current information on forms availability please click on the applicable link below:

mamawx4w

it's when you go to file

just one more step and we'll file your returns  this is what it says

@mamawx4w You might be missing some forms -- lots of forms are not yet ready.   What is the rush to file now?

I worry when people ask how soon they can file and want to file the minute they can, because experience here has shown that many of those same people will be back in this forum in a few weeks asking how to amend.  Right now it has been taking the IRS more than six months to process amended returns.  Filing too soon could mean you are setting yourself up for months of aggravation.

You can fall for the marketing ploy that will allow you to e-file early if you want to—-but be aware that your e-file will just sit on a server and if you discover that you need to make any changes you will not be able to.   You cannot change or add anything while your return is in pending on the server.   You have to wait until the IRS ether accepts or rejects it afterl January 24.   If it is rejected you can fix it; if it is accepted with your mistakes you have to wait for it to be processed and go through the lengthy process of amending.

You still need your 2021 W-2's and any 1099's that will show your income for 2021.    Those will not be issued until late January or early February. 

The tax forms are not ready yet. The software still needs lots of updates.  Go to the REVIEW tab to see which forms in your return are incomplete and the estimated dates they will be ready (dates always subject to change) and sign up for the email alerts if you wish.  

Being in a hurry to file and get a refund is never a good idea---it leads to filing incorrectly without all of your information and to waiting months to amend mistakes that you should not have made in the first place.   Be patient and file correctly when all of your information is in order and the tax forms are ready.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/forms/help/irs-forms-availability-table-for-turbotax-individual-pe...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/forms/help/state-forms-availability-table-for-turbotax-individual-...

And based on the delays for 2020 refunds I for one do not even want to guess how long the IRS will take to process 2021 returns and send out refunds.   Expect confusion regarding the child tax credit----wait for the letter 6419 they will send you in January that tells you how much of the advance CTC you got because you need to enter that.    And if you got the 3rd EIP in 2021 there will be a letter for that too.  Those amounts need to be entered carefully and correctly.

And…..if you are trying to rush because you get earned income credit or the child tax credit——the PATH act means you cannot get your refund until the end of February at the earliest—so filing early will not get you an early refund.

And….as of one day after people were allowed to start e-filing we were already seeing users post that they made mistakes and want to fix them——and they cannot fix their mistakes.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Katina S
Intuit Alumni

You may not be able to file your 2021 tax return because all of the tax forms you need may not be ready. The IRS isn't accepting returns until January 24th, 2022 but here is a timeline to keep in mind while preparing your taxes to be submitted to the IRS.

@mamawx4w 

allye123

Have completed both federal and state returns have paid for services and on last step wants a code to verify that I'm me. Problem is email address that turbo tax is sending to is not my email address tried to go in and edit to correct email and would not except. I need help to complete so my taxes are filed. Have never had this problem before.

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

If you are having issues receiving your verification code, please see the below TurboTax help article for assistance which includes instructions on updating your email address.

What if I'm having trouble with my filing verification code?

If you continue to have issues please reach out to a TurboTax representative for assistance. 

What is the TurboTax phone number?

@allye123

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies