turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Medicare supplement insurance

I have Medicare insurance automatically deducted from my Social Security check.

I also have a Supplemental  F policy that covers what Medicare does not cover, in addition to a policy for prescription medicine.

are these insurance premiums deductible?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

Yes, they are deductible. Be aware, that since you are getting Social Security, the amount you have taken out of your SS for Medicare flows to the medical expenses in TurboTax, so do not enter that twice. 

Jaramya
Returning Member

Where on the tax form do I show my premiums paid for Supplemental Medicare Plan F. It is deducted from my bank account, not taken from Social Security payments

Bees
Level 7

It is part of schedule A  Itemized deductions. Remember that all your medical expenses have to add up to more than 7.5%  of your AGI to be deductible : so often it does not help you out.  And the standard deduction is now larger since there is no reduction in your taxable income for personal allowances.  But you can enter things as you did before 2018 and see.

Disclaimer: Not a tax professional. Information gathered from internet links. Anything dated in June 2019 was posted in prior years and is before the 2019 limits and changes.

Where do I enter Medicare type F supplement cost?

This is not taken out of my SS.

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Premiums for the other Medicare programs—Part B (supplemental medical insurance), Part C (Medicare Advantage), and Part D (voluntary prescription drug insurance), and Medigap policies (Part F) —are deductible.   Follow the link below to enter those expenses.   There are multiple categories and Medigap policy premiums will be entered under the insurance premiums subcategory of the medical expenses section.  

To deduct unreimbursed, out-of-pocket medical, dental, and vision costs on your federal return:

• You must take the itemized deduction;
  • The expenses for you, your jointly-filing spouse, and your dependent(s) must exceed 7.5% of your AGI (adjusted gross income); and
  • Only the portion above and beyond 7.5% of your AGI is deductible.     @19Xzbvc976
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies