turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Medical Loss Ratio Rebate

I received in 2020 a Medical Loss Ratio Rebate check for premiums paid in 2019 for 2019 health insurance.  I had deducted 100% of my 2019 premiums as a self-employed health insurance deduction and so the rebate is taxable to me as income in 2020.

My question is where do I report this income in TurboTax?  Schedule 1, Line 8?

Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I don't have the program in front of me, but if you click through "less common income" it should offer several options, click no on the ones that don't apply and recovery should eventually be an option.

On the paper form, it will go in the same place as misc income (schedule 1 line 😎 but it needs a description like "taxable recovery."  You can probably get it there via the misc income entry but I think there is a specific interview question for recoveries as well, in the less common section. 

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Using the interview mode, go to “other uncommon income” at the bottom of the income page and look for “taxable recovery” (reimbursement of a previous deduction). 

I see "Less Common Income" but do not see "Taxable Recovery" underneath.  I do see "Miscellaneous Income" which is where I was guessing it would go.

Keep going ...  1....jpg

I don't have the program in front of me, but if you click through "less common income" it should offer several options, click no on the ones that don't apply and recovery should eventually be an option.

On the paper form, it will go in the same place as misc income (schedule 1 line 😎 but it needs a description like "taxable recovery."  You can probably get it there via the misc income entry but I think there is a specific interview question for recoveries as well, in the less common section. 

Thanks.  Found it (sort of).

"Let's Work on any Miscellaneous Income"

Then "Reimbursed deductions from a prior year"

Then (I'm guessing) check "Medical Expenses"

"Reimbursed deductions from a prior year" seems to be aimed at Schedule A type deductions (not adjustments to income--like the self-employed health insurance adjustment), but probably close enough.  It end up in Line 8 of Schedule 1.

Remember I'm using the 2020 version and so maybe it is different from what you are looking at.

Thanks for your help.

It end up in Line 8 of Schedule 1.   That is correct. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies