turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MrMIH
Returning Member

May I just file a state tax return?

Is it possible to only file state income tax since my federal was mailed before I discovered intuit?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

In a way.......but it would have to be printed and mail-filed by you once it is prepared.   You can only e-file your state...only if the Federal part was prepared in the same account and also e-filed either at the same time or prior to the state being e-filed.

In your case you would have to prepare the Federal part first to exactly match what you mail-filed already .  Then 95% of that data flows to the state part.....after which  you would then go thru the state interview to enter any additional info needed.....then indicate you want to file-by mail bot the Federal and state tax returns...print them out, and mail in just the state portion to your state tax agency, along with W-2 forms and any others that show state withholding on them..

IF Free version can be used ..fine..but if anything at all requires you to upgrade to the higher pay-for-it versions, you will have to pay for both the Federal and state software, even though you aren't needing the Federal part..

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

visit your state's tax revenue website, where you may find free filing online, depending on the state and your circumstances.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies