turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gsa625
Returning Member

Married in 2019 to a non-citizen

My wife is a non-citizen.  We've filed for a green card, which includes an application for a work permit and at that point she will have a SS#.

We can't apply for a TIN because that's already in process, but it won't be completed for a few months.

What is my filing status for 2019?   If it's married filing jointly, I can't file without a TIN for her.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

If you believe she will receive her SSN before April 15, 2020 then wait to file your 2019 tax return so that you can file as Married Filing Jointly. 

Or you can request a 6 month extension using IRS Form 4868 to file the tax return at any time up through October 15, 2020.  This is only an extension to file a tax return, it is not an extension of time to pay any taxes owed.  Taxes owed must be paid on or before April 15, 2020 to avoid a failure to pay penalty.  There are no penalties for filing after the due date if you have a tax refund or there are no taxes owed.

gsa625
Returning Member

Thank you so much!  

I want to apologize for not reacting to your post earlier.  I mistakenly thought I would receive an email indicating there was a response.

Thank you so much for responding not once, but twice, with the exact information necessary for me to move forward.

Greg

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

You are very welcome! 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
gsa625
Returning Member

May I follow up?  

My wife just received her Social Security Card. It's stamped "Valid for Work Only with DHS Authorization".  I assume that since it's for work, it will be valid for filing our tax return.  Am I right?

SusanY1
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, any social security number (whether valid for work or not) is valid for filing your tax return.

@gsa625

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies