turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Married filed jointly used same address but live separately

My husband and I got married July 2020 and filed our taxes jointly on 2021 but we live separately and used same address for taxes. My apartment complex manager needed my income tax papers and saw him on the tax papers and says he lives with me because of the income tax but he doesn’t.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
Carl
Level 15

This is a TurboTax support forum. How is this a tax issue? Sounds more like a legal issue to me that has absolutely nothing to do with taxes.

Explain to him that you can only enter one address on a jointly filed return so yours was used. On a jointly filed return it is not necessary for you to actually live together at any time during the year just as long as you were married.

This is a "so what?" as far as your income tax return goes.   The IRS does not care if you live together.   If you are legally married then you can file a joint tax return or you can file married filing separately.   A joint return is almost always a better way to file because of the way your credits and deductions work.   If there is some sort of issue with your lease that is not a tax issue.  

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

as Carl posted this is a legal not a tax issue.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies