turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

moyaqi

Married couple self-employed, how to pay estimated tax quaterly.

Me and my spouse we both self-employed in a business. We both own the business and will file married jointly. I paid my estimated tax through IRS, how to pay my spouse's estimated tax? Do we both need to pay? How do we earn credits for social security. Thank you! 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

If you are self-employed you are required to pay self-employment tax for Social Security and Medicare---that is how you are building credits for Social Security.   

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/self-employed/help/what-is-the-self-employment-tax/00/25922

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2902389-why-am-i-paying-self-employment-tax

Please explain "we both own the business."   What is the business?   How is it set up?   Is it a sole proprietorship, an S-corps, C-corps or partnership?

Are you new to self-employment?   You are posting from online Deluxe, which cannot provide a schedule C if you need to enter business expenses.   Please provide more information.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Carl
Level 15

The easiest way to pay your quarterly taxes to the IRS is at www.irs.gov/payments.

If you both own the business, then at a minimum I would expect you to be reporting business income/expenses on a 1065-multi-member LLC/Partnership tax return. But maybe you are in a community property state where you can actually split things down the middle and each report your half on a SCH C? Maybe it's set up as an S-Corp and you are both employees of that S-Corp? I don't know. I'm just guessing.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies